the shop said

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my 01 z71 to the shop that put my shocks on for 80 bucks, seem like good honest people. Had 3 issues I wanted checked: steering play, changing to reverse clunk, and 3rd brake light out. I had already checked fuses so it was very believable to hear that the light was bad...ebay...done. about the steering they said pretty much the whole front end needed to be done: pitman idler and inner and outer tierods add an alignment and the quote was 480, I'm assuming original steering parts with 136k miles on them pretty much all need to be done, just wanting feedback, maybe past experiences. Through lots of reading I assumed the reverse clunk was a u joint, was told it was play in the rear end, I guess just some worn down teeth, just weird that that's the only time it does it. Thoughts?

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$480 for replacing all steering components is really pretty good. The dealership never finished their verbal quote because I cut off the SA as he was going over prices, but I would've been $1,000 just for parts, never mind the labor.

Cheapest I found replacements parts was on Amazon. MOOG pitman arm does not fit, use AC Delco. So, with AC Delco pitman and the rest MOOG, parts were approx $270 delivered. If this shop is only charging $200 to install everything, and re-align, I'd say that's a deal.

PlazaEJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install 'em yourself, and get an alignment. Save even more money.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear end gears don't "wear". The slack between them will open up some from new (tiny amount), but they are hardened and never take on appreciable wear unless they are on the verge of failure (unlikely).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali