The mystery noise game!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Provider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
image.jpg After losing my bare bones '97 Tahoe in an accident just before Christmas, I went temporarily insane and bought a 2004 Escalade ESV Platinum. Previously used as a VIP limousine, it only had 64,*** miles.

I knew some of the gauges didn't work, the heated and cooled seats didn't work and there was a "dry bearing" sound somewhere in the front end that I figured was the differential. I negotiated the price down by about $4k which gave me some comfort in dealing with what I might be facing.

I took it to a mechanic to locate the source of the sound and he says the can't isolate it. He says he would "start" with the front hubs. I know the AWD's are prone to noise and I'm no mechanic...but I can't believe it could be this hard to figure out.

Opinions please?!?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Provider

Provider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It does sound like that I guess. Louder during acceleration.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front hubs: roll the window down and swerve side to side, and accel & brake, and see if unloading/loading the suspension front to rear & side to side will accentuate the sound somehow.

if you can do it yourself, just throw two wheel hubs on it & see what happens.

if you are paying a shop to experiment to find a solution, that will add up quick.

might be cheaper to invest in some tools & tackle it yourself (air tools & jacks & stands & impact)

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help with your noise issue, but just wanted to say nice ESV Platinum and sounds like you got a good deal right out of the gate. Hope you get that noise quieted soon with the help of the other guys already posting up.

OP
OP
Provider

Provider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks again. Think I'll go ahead with hubs and see what happens.

I promise to give an update.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
That's kind of how my ds front hub sounded before I replaced it. Kind of a groaning, metal on metal sound.
exactly this. I was so afraid the axle was shot, and the dealer was too, so it let me "steal" it, but it was just a front hub, confirmed by jacking up the front end and wiggling the wheels with the tires on (and my first foray into the TYF)

Easy fix, just takes some muscle and time.

OP
OP
Provider

Provider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE: Took it to another mechanic I've used in the past that I quit using because it would always take a couple of days to clean my car when I got it back. (I'm pretty picky.)
Anyway, he put it on the rack, after driving it, and says its the differential. He said I could source the replacement, bring it to him and he would charge $400 for the swap.

He's never steered me wrong so I think I'm going to take him up on it.

Summit has the ATP 111500 for about $1200 with free shipping. Open to all opinions!

I really am enjoying this ride...despite the issues.image.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Front diff? I never would've guessed that! Just curious, if it is that, why wouldn't you source one from a jy? Just personal preference? $1200 doesn't seem bad, but I just hope that's really the issue with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700