Tahoe interior measurements/pics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already posted this on a more "generic" forum (Expedition Portal) but I wanted to ask the experts here too. Tried a search but couldn't find anything.

Looking for some info on a 2000 - 2006 Tahoe or Yukon.

Wondering if a Tahoe or Yukon (non-XL) owner can do me a favor: I need to know how long the cargo area of a Tahoe is with the 2nd row seats folded and 3rd row seat removed. Can I get one of you to check that? And also how flat is the load deck with the seats folded? From what I've seen in pictures, the Tahoe has a similar kind of "flip and fold" to my 4runner, i.e. the bottom cushion flips forward to rest against the back of the front seat and the back cushion flips down to lay flat (except on the 4runner it doesn't lay flat, it lays up at an angle of about 15 degrees.)

If it's possible, I'd also like to know the width of the cargo area between the wheel wells.

What I'm trying to determine is how much more cargo space there is in a Tahoe vs. my 4runner, and whether it would be practical to sleep in the back of it.

Reason I'm asking is that i'm going back and forth between wanting a Tahoe/Yukon or Suburban/XL sized vehicle. I don't need measurements on the 'burb as there's no question that it's big enough.

I prefer the smaller size and the "look" of the shorter wheelbase Tahoe but I want to make sure it's big enough for what I need to do, which may include sleeping in the back (and I'm 6'1") The 4runner is only adequate if I remove the seat bottom cushion and then use a sleeping platform to elevate me above the wheel wells. I also need to make sure it's big enough to haul all the stuff we seem to have come to need when we go camping.

I measured my garage and I could actually fit a Suburban-sized vehicle (though it would be tight!) I also like the additional 5 gallons of gas in the 'Burb vs. the Tahoe. But there's a part of me that thinks something like that would be overkill for a couple whose kids are all grown since this vehicle will primarily be hauling just the wife and I, and pulling a ~2,000lb travel trailer (plus all of our crap, of course!) I also worry a bit that with all that extra room the wife would find more crap to haul and would deprive me of the excuse of "We don't have the room for that." :D

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know the length, but the width between the wheel wells is 49". I have an XL and its about 100" from the back of the front seat to the rear cargo doors with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd folded flat. My 2nd row folds completely flat, but there is about a 3/4" lip from the panel that covers the 3rd row foot area. I put 4'x8' sheets of wood in the back of mine all the time, I love the ability to do so.

Honestly if I were looking to sleep in the back, I would go for the XL or burb. Just so you dont have to clear absolutely everything out just to lay back there. You would have some room for luggage still with the longer vehicle.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know the length, but the width between the wheel wells is 49". I have an XL and its about 100" from the back of the front seat to the rear cargo doors with the 3rd row removed and the 2nd folded flat. My 2nd row folds completely flat, but there is about a 3/4" lip from the panel that covers the 3rd row foot area. I put 4'x8' sheets of wood in the back of mine all the time, I love the ability to do so.

Honestly if I were looking to sleep in the back, I would go for the XL or burb. Just so you dont have to clear absolutely everything out just to lay back there. You would have some room for luggage still with the longer vehicle.

So 100" - the 21 extra inches of the 'Burb/XL should come out to 79" even with the back seat in place? That would make it at least long enough for sleeping in if I had to.

And I agree that the XL/Burb is the "slam dunk" solution, i.e. there's no question that it would work. As I said above the extra 5 gallons in the tank is also nice to have. Thing is, I've got to figure out if it's worth it to haul around an extra 2' of length and an extra couple hundred pounds of weight when I don't need it.

EDIT: Of course as a plus, I would imagine the longer wheelbase also gives a nicer ride on long trips and a more stable towing platform. Can anyone confirm if that is true?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say yes lol...

When I was shopping, I wasn't looking for burbs or xl's, I wanted a shortie and didn't see a need for the long one. But they get the same gas mileage and now after owning one I don't think I would buy another short suv, I love my xl. I have loaded that thing as full as you can in 1 trip, and if I had a shortie I would have to make 2 trips ya know? Or get alternative storing like a roof box or such... I keep my 3rd row out of mine, no use for it. So i have a pretty huge cargo area to be honest. Wouldn't give it up.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another way to look at it... GM designed the Suburban first. The 4 door "shorty" didn't come into existence until 1995. The Suburban was introduced in 1935.

From a towing perspective... should the tail (trailer) wag the dog (tow vehicle)? Or should the dog be the one wagging the tail. In a tag (bumper pull) trailer, a larger tow vehicle will handle the task better than a smaller tow vehicle.

From a sleeping perspective, YukonXL04 makes a very good point about the difficulty in shifting contents around in a vehicle WITHOUT A TRUNK that one is trying to sleep in. Without a trunk, everything is in your space. Managing that stuff when just trying to catch a few flat back Z's can take more time than the nap would take when the space is too small to stretch out in. Then, when you wake up, you've got to move it all back from the driver's seat to the back so you can drive. And if you needed to drive out quick due to a pending threat appearing outside, the contents shifting becomes all the more onerous.

When I bought my XL, I never even considered the Tahoe/Yukon... except during a period of time decades earlier, when it was a two door full size Chevy Blazer K5... the ancient ancestor to what the Tahoe eventually became. I wanted one a them... but I was much younger and nimbler in those days, and didn't need to sleep like I do now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n