Synthetic worth it for these trucks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NNBS-Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my new to me (us) 2009 LT XFE, Tahoe, has 84K on the odometer. No mods performance wise and only planning an Air Raid Jr, and removing stock resonator and adding Magnalow 12589. Maybe BB tune after that as funds allow. Is it worth it to run Synthetic on this truck and for it's intended purpose, or just run regular oil? If yes on the synthetic what weight for these trucks? Can I get the oil change done with stock height without using a jack?

Thanks

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 5w30 in mine, just because I have always run that in every vehicle. You could probably change it at stock height but it would be a little tight.

OP
OP
NNBS-Medic

NNBS-Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 5w30 in mine, just because I have always run that in every vehicle. You could probably change it at stock height but it would be a little tight.

Filter brand make a difference?

Guess I'm gonna need a jack then, don't have anything that would work on my truck at the moment......

I'm still trying to find all the specs on my truck but having a rough time as I have no owners manual or build sheet. Supposedly mine cuts of to 4 cylinders when cruising but we are averaging 14.2 MPG combined city/highway......

Seems a bit low from the number I am reading.

Gonna try a tune up and see if it changes. Right now I run 87 Octane from either Shell or Chevron.......

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, 5w-30 here to.
WIX filters, K&N filters, Bosch filters are all quality filters.
If you plan on doing your own oil changes, get some ramps. Or, you can make them out of 2x12s.

For specs on your specific Tahoe, there is a thread here for history checks through the VIN# of your vehicle. Here we go http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52358

OP
OP
NNBS-Medic

NNBS-Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, 5w-30 here to.
WIX filters, K&N filters, Bosch filters are all quality filters.
If you plan on doing your own oil changes, get some ramps. Or, you can make them out of 2x12s.

For specs on your specific Tahoe, there is a thread here for history checks through the VIN# of your vehicle. Here we go http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52358

Thanks a million for that info, sent a PM to the GM CS rep with my VIN, greatly appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Synthetic fluids work better under extreme conditions than petroleum based. You would have to pencil out the costs of the synthetic oil against petroleum based oil and take in to consideration the length of time you stretch the oil change interval to see if worth it. I use petroleum based oil and a good quality filter at 5k intervals and never had a problem of any kind. Under normal conditions the petro based oil is fine. Extreme heat or cold is where the synthetic's shine. I like the AC Delco or Wix oil filters. By the way, NAPA oil filters are Wix.

As far as getting under the rig, if you are big like me then you need really long arms or ramps/stands/jack.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple HMX(high mileage for 75k+) in both mine with a wix filter. and yes get some ramps for oil changes.

get it from Jegs for $7.80 a quart with free shipping and its at my door in 2 days. Local parts houses have it for $8+/quart +tax

Last edited:

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you consider being "worth it".

You can what ever oil in it that you want, but if you are not using synthetic, remember to at least use a good quality filter and change the oil more often.

I have always chosen to use full synthetic Mobil 1 5W or 10W-30 and AC Delco filters in all my GM trucks and SUVs for as long as I can remember. If it costs me a few bucks more than dino oil and a crappy filter, I don't care.

And yeah, just get ramps. Much easier than using a jack.

Last edited:

shofzr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Amsoil 5W-30, and Amsoil filter here, just over 200K miles and uses just about a pint of oil during 15K mile change intervals.

2006 Escalade LQ9

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StayStoney

Latest posts