Swap or build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patriot17763

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am preparing for an engine swap in let's say a little over a year and a half. I'm starting to plan now so I can build a beast. My question is should I use the high rev 4.8 and do maybe a turbo or supercharger with cams and other goodies or go 6.0 and do a naturally aspirated monster? What's going to be more street friendly and easier on the drive train. I'll build the teams a little too if needed. Looking for 400-450hp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a 6.0 swap in my 03 How. Doing a cam with pushrods, springs, hv oil pump, timing chain, long tubes with after market high flow cats, y pipe and muffler. Of course it's getting tuned also. Truck originally came with 4.8. I'm really not sure what to expect horsepower wise, but I'm hoping somewhere around 450. Building it for the highway, so I'm also going with a Circle D convert or. Stalls at 3,000. I already have a GN with a turbo and the power just comes on suddenly, me personally, I'm not looking to go that route. Have you ever driven a turbo? You could really build a nice 6.0.. Just do your homework.

2002DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt waste my time with a 4.8/5.3L engine for the kind of HP you want. Turbo lag sucks. Not much room to bore a 4.8/5.3L block. Spend that money on 6.0L block bore for new pistons if you have to bore. You can get a LQ4 for $1500 more or less. 5.3L blocks are fine for what they were DESINGED for. I have (4) of them currently and 2 of them are in (2) Tahoes. I have a stock 6.0L in my Yukon Denali and there is a difference in HP and Torque just stock. You will be over what I consider to be 400HP line of the stock 4L60E and for what you after I would change it out for a 4L80E and be done with. Lets be honest here, you arent going to drive it like grandma going to the store once the 400HP+ is there. You are gonna drive it like you stole it.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
It's not plug and play. I looked into it when I did mine. It's not too bad tho. You have to move some wires on the plug. Make a crossmember and make driv shafts. Before you can drive it you have to program the computer.
There are lots of good threads on performance trucks and lstech.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It's not plug and play. I looked into it when I did mine. It's not too bad tho. You have to move some wires on the plug. Make a crossmember and make driv shafts. Before you can drive it you have to program the computer.
There are lots of good threads on performance trucks and lstech.
Too much for me to invest in doing.

2002DenaliXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its not that bad. I just welded a piece of 3/8" 8" deep C Channel on the back side of the cross member ($10.00) or you can use flat pate with gussets to make it as well, drill holes for new mount, followed the repin for the transmission plug on side, run 2 wires to the PCM (12.00 on Ebay) segment swap along with turning on the Efans, get a used drive shaft for it out of a 2wd 2500 ($85.00), Hybrid U-Joint ($35.00) and call it done if your 2wd. Total in is approx $ 140 give or take plus the tranny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4

Latest posts