Suggestions For Second Camera Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deephaven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd cable it. Have an extra wire in my trailer connector anyways.

Once my new garage is built and I can buy a bigger snowmobile trailer (association requires the trailer in a stall) I will absolutely be doing exactly that. Currently I have to drop my trailer and use the atv winch to pull it into the garage. Can't wait for the day I can just back up. My carpc has 5 camera inputs and it is easy to add more so that is no problem :)

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My second camera is mounted as high as possible, by the third brake light. High on the hatch. It's called a "Hatch Cam".

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try to figure out a way to mount it so it looks at the hitch ball from above. It would make hooking up a trailer a lot easier.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The curve of the rear hatch makes seeing the hitch ball from above somewhat impractical. One would need the camera to be mounted on an extended arm out and away from the third brake light, which would obviously look weird hanging out there like a school bus or FedEx truck hemispherical rear docking mirror.

The best bet for seeing the hitch from above on a 2000-2006 body style would be to mount the camera BELOW the hatch glass, where the body angle flattens to vertical the rest of the way down, as opposed to trying to see over the curved horizon that the rear window glass presents.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My second camera is mounted as high as possible, by the third brake light. High on the hatch. It's called a "Hatch Cam".

I've thought about it and I think this is what I'm going to end up doing. I got a little tiny camera so it isn't very noticeable. My reason for this location is so that I can see my little trailer from Lowe's I use for my four wheeler. It's so narrow that you can't see any part of it out of the side mirrors. AND it's so low to the ground that you can just barely see the top of the drop ramp. I think I'll try and mount it above the third brake light if I can so it doesn't loosen up every time I slam the hatch.

kc9dre

Reaction score
Create another weatherproof harness that connects close to you current trailer harness with a bnc connector. Some can pass power through the coax as well depending on what you wanna purchase. Switch it so you can use it in forward motion when in heavy traffic so you know for sure you are clear.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll try and mount it above the third brake light if I can so it doesn't loosen up every time I slam the hatch.

Instead of above the third brake light, if you can move the camera below and behind* the third brake light, you might have better rearward vision nearer to the trailer hitch, without the arch of the rear hatch getting in the way.

*behind means further to the rear of the vehicle, not further to the front

Below are three pictures of how my second rear camera is mounted above the hatch, in a custom protective housing that gets the camera lens more to the rear of the arch of the hatch, so that the camera can "see" more.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try to figure out a way to mount it so it looks at the hitch ball from above. It would make hooking up a trailer a lot easier.

Mine used to be on my license plate. Worked alright for backing up, but hardly helps on backing to a trailer. I moved it to the key hole on my barn door handle and the view is much better from higher up. Really easy to back up to a trailer now. Perfect position every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19