Subwoofer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe442

Reaction score
Has anybody had experience with compact powered subwoofers like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html?tp=114

I am looking to downgrade from my 12s simply because they are too much for my taste, take up too much room and Id like to save my hearing before its to late. Just wondering how well they perform.

Also post pics if you could of your setup with multiple amps and subs if you can! would be interested to see what everyone else is doing. Thanks

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to find a 99 escalade/ denali console at a jnk yrd it has the Bose sub in it I bet it will out perform that
Sub. This console with the hidden sub is by far the best part I put in my truck and the sub is hidden.

Hoe_14

Reaction score
from my experience, power some decent mids and out perform the powered subs. never been impressed by them, every one i have heard is a waste of moola IMO

OP
OP
Tahoe442

Tahoe442

Reaction score
I was just in the local junkyard and saw one was in an escalade. How do I go about wiring it up to my alpine head unit? or would you suggest just using a seperate amp? I dont think I want to spend the money for an MTX console, just looked those up. Those mids are an option. I have 6.5s in the front doors and 6x9s in the roof in place of 4x10s. The rear doors are currently empty, What would you suggest as a mid setup for those doors if I go that route?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The escalade separate power amp had an output for the sub-woofer. The amp was located inside the console in most cases. I would not drive more the say 50w tops into the sub. Not a strong one.

OP
OP
Tahoe442

Tahoe442

Reaction score
So I've decided to go with powering a pair of mids in my rear doors. Can any of you recommend a good combination of mid range drivers and an amp from experience for this setup? Also would it be worthwhile to add an alpine powerpack to my head unit to add more to my front 6.5s and rear 6x9s while im in the process of this? thanks

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIRST!! go back and get that console once you get it home take it apart to remove all the
wiring and the amp you won't be using it. at lease test the sub with a double A battery just
touch the speaker wires to the batt the sub will make a thump letting you no the coil is not blown. this sub is 1.4 ohms so you need a 1 ohm STABLE class d amp i use the mtx th350.1d for my sub and the sub is handling 350 watts rms @1.
Get a 4 channel amp i wouldn't put spks in the rear doors a 60 /75 watt rms amp is ideal then the mtx amp only 2 amps you need i even put this bose sub in my work van the system sounds just as good as my yukon.
I do have 3 of these bose subs if that one is blown but i dout it the six consoles ive gotten all subs are good that bose amp dies first. oh!! hoe 14 you just haven't this bose sub on a real amp :chewie:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoe442

Tahoe442

Reaction score
Qukon 95 i think I'll take your advice and go with that setup I'll return to the junkyard in the morning since I have the day off and see if I can still swatch it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigburb3500

Latest posts