Sub enclosure Ideas ?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
I'm doing this exact thing with my Suburban. I tore out everything behind the second row of sets, and am in the process of fabbing up an enclosure for two 10" subs. Preliminary calculations will get me just shy of 3.8 square feet gross, a little more than what I need for the two Powerbass S-10's I'm putting in. The S-10's need just about 1.5 cubes each for optimal output, and a slotted port 22" in cross-sectional area and 16" deep will get me a tuning frequency of 35Hz, with a -3dB point at 33Hz. Have used 6 cans of spray foam to fill in between the inner and outer skins of the quarter panel, plenty sturdy enough, as I'm "only" going to push 250 watts to each of the 10's (Lightning Audio 1000.1 D, running @ 2 ohms, 500watts RMS). Will be using PowerGrab adhesive to hold the 3/4" 7-ply plywood panels to the steel, and siliconing the crap out of every joint. As it'll be ported, it'll reduce the stress on the adhesive joints, won't have to risk all the joints separating.

I previously did the same thing with my '96 Tahoe, except I did BOTH sides, stuck a Celestion AD15 in each corner. Netted about 1.8 cubes for each, and had the Powerbass S-10's firing downward in a center console (2.8 cu ft, tuned to 40Hz), along with an amp rack for (3) amps, a cap and a distribution block.

Don't worry about beefing up the suspension to handle any enclosure, unless it's going to be huge, like 400 lbs or more. If you were going to wall off behind the second row, then yes, by all means, beef everything up. But unless you will have a box from floor to ceiling with (4) 15's or 18's in it..... don't bother.

As far as putting an 8" in each door... it can be done, but you'll have to completely seal a section of each door, with zero air leaks. And you'll have to use a sub specifically meant for small, sealed enclosures. Probably a helluva lot more involved and expensive than doing the rear quarter panel.

Sounds good to me. Have you started a thread on this for the install and build? If not you should ;)

I'm not looking to go crazy but I do like some rumble in my balls when I drive around from time to time lol. The door options will be one of the most pricy and bigger work load for me for sure. That will most likely not be the way I go. I'm still leaning towards the rear hatch tho. That's what I was talking about for suspension wise with the shocks. Sorry maybe I should have clarified some, unless I'm reading your post wrong. Either way it will be adding a lot of weight with the MDS and speakers I would be throwing in there. I may even do one 10" or 12" in the hatch and try and save some weight and time but a few 8" subs would look pretty cool back there in the hatch.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
@Jesburban If they were able to make that a ported box and run all the way to the back of the console some how then it would most likely spread the bass out more. Ported boxes always sound crisp to me with great bass. The sealed boxes usually hit harder though for smaller set sups. I use to have an 87' GT Hatchback Mustang with a sealed box and 2 12" subs and that thing would almost make your heart skip a beat. When I build an enclosure that was ported and with the same exact set up it still hit hard but had way better sound quality and the sound traveled better outside the car as well. For a high school kid that liked to party at bonfires and ranch yards my mustang was used for the music most of the time and that ported box made it so much better. Granted that was a much smaller vehicle, ported boxes are usually best for these types of trucks as well with how much space is inside of them. If I go this route I will for sure find someway to build a bigger and ported box for the center console. Even if I have to cut the console in halfsies. I have heard nothing but great things about those boxes for the console though. Looks great.

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the center console box from ebay, but it is fitted with a kicker l7 8. Its not mind numbing, but imho, it is the way the factory bass should sound. I have a bass knob for my sub out.

The bass fills the rear decent and way better than I thought it would. I too, needed my 3rd row seat in my yukon, so I feel your pain. With that pain, comes compromise.

I had 2 shollow mount 12's behind the 3rd row and the issue I had was #1- it took up what little space I had & #2- when the 3rd row was removed, it would not stand on its on. I didnt want to bolt it down bc that would be more work when I needed to remove the 3rd seat.

uploadfromtaptalk1460385656789.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1460385681642.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1460385716037.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1460385774528.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to build a fiberglass ported box for the L7 8 to spec in the rear driver compartment but time /money/ skills is lacking. I love my L7 10 in my car, so im sure the 8 in the yukon would sound just as good.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finishing up my rear quarter panel box as I sit here eating dinner. Had to calculate port length, will be using a single 4" port @ 7.5" long. Impossible to calculate exact airspace, but somewhere between 2.8 and 3.4 cu ft gross, only losing about .1 cubes for speaker displacement and port displacement. If it's the smaller box, it'll be tuned to 36Hz, if it's the larger, it'll be tuned to 31Hz. Anywhere in that range is acceptable to me, as I'll eventually have a 30Hz cutoff frequency for the subs.

As of right now, I have the two 4 ohm subs wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load, and running off the factory amp. Even sealed, there's enough bump to rattle my rearview mirror.

WITH THE FACTORY AMP!!!!!!

Pics to follow later when I upload them.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
That sounds great. I want to hear how the end result sounds, wish I were closer to see it in person.

If ur thinking the air space may be too much then pillow stuffing makes for a great space deadner for sub enclosures. In my mustang enclosed box I had to use some bc the speakers were not exactly rated for how big the box was. I eventually cut the box in halfsies and fixed the problem but at first install I murdered an old pillow and used its guts for stuffing and made a huge difference. You can titrate the stuffing as needed. I had to pull the speakers out at least 10 times each before I got it right.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20160411_151932961.jpg IMG_20160411_152527771.jpg

What I had to do was tear out everything where the old factory sub was, the sheet metal underneath was completely rusted away. I used some aluminum coil stock, bent pieces to fit around the gas filler neck (after removing the shroud covering it), and siliconed and self-tapped screws the aluminum in place. Once that was done, I used some Pella Waterproofing tape, layered it over the top of all the aluminum, made sure it was completely sealed. Once that was done, I filled between the inner and outer skins with expanding foam, and used it to seal around the filler neck. The wires you see are for a strobe light system, the 'Burb used to belong to a Volunteer Fire Chief (nice little $1200 toy!)

The first step I did, I traced out the outline of the inner skin on a piece of plywood for the front (facing forward), refining it so I had less than 1/8" gaps when done. Made a small cleat to mount it to, and loaded up about 1/2 a tube of silicone under it before I mounted it permanently.

Next, I made the cleat that runs lengthwise under the window. This cleat is 3/4" under the "visible" window line, so that when the top is put on, it comes even with the window.

Third, I did the same thing for the rear panel (facing the hatch) as I did the front. Wasn't quite as critical to get the gaps as close, as the panel is secured to the inside metal, lots of silicone behind it.

Fourth, fabricated the top panel. On mine, it tapered from 9" at the front to 8 3/8" at the rear, apparently it follows the curve of the outside quarter panel and glass. I verified the straight line with a level running alongside the wheelwell, and it is equidistant from the panel on the passenger side (49 1/4") front and back.

Forgot to take pics of fabricating a cleat across the floor behind the wheelwell to the corner.... but I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

Lastly, the face. Took a piece of plywood about 2" longer and higher than the enclosure, and scribed the bottom to fit tight against the floor. Once I did that, I then scribed the top and two sides, then cut and test fit it, made sure it fit perfect (It IS off by about 1/8", but nothing that some carpet won't cover). I did screw right thru the fenderwell with some 1 1/4" screws, those are only temporary - in a couple days, I'm going to take those out, and use Stainless Steel screws from inside the fenderwell to secure the panel, then paint the heads black.

Since I carry a lot of tools and materials around every day for work, I recessed the baffle for the subs in 2" from the face, gotta make sure there's enough room for the excursion! I have a buddy that owns a metal fab shop, I'm going to have him make a heavy mesh grill that will fit inside the rectangle opening, and I can use some Panhead screws to secure it in the four corners.

It did sound pretty good sealed, on the factory amp. But, I prefer the sound of a ported enclosure, gets me a little more bump just above the tuning frequency - in this case, between 32 and 36Hz, as noted in my previous post. I bought a 4" drain cap @ Lowe's, and put in a 7 1/2" port on the small space above the factory trimpanel on the front, just above the third row cupholder.

If you notice, there's about 3/4" from the top of the box to the rear D-pillar trim panel. That IS intentional, as I'm going to be fabbing up a tray on top of the box so that I can throw all the random screws and nuts and bolts at the end of the day on it, along with smaller tools. I am going to cut and modify the panel on the other side of the truck, so I can put a cleat and another tray there too. That will allow me to put some 2x4's across from one side to another, supporting the doors and windows I install on a daily basis. That will allow me to open the hatch and access my tools without having to take all the materials out.

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Interested to see this completed and buttoned up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz