stock lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allthejerretts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question about the stock lighting. I am a 1998 Tahoe 4x4 2D model. anyway I have to that the stock lights are the worst lights I have ever had. I can't see but about 15 ft in front of me. I do have a a lift on my Tahoe and 33 inch tires so I am a little here than stock truck, but my visibility at night is horrible. To make matters worse i have a short with the bright lights. When ever I turn them on i hear a loud pop and i the light goes out and i turn back to regular lights and they don't work for a few min, any one else have this problem

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see from your second post that your switch wires were running hot. You replaced the multi-switch, and the multiswitch wiring harness. And you still have no highs...so your OEM stuff is not working, why not modify it a little bit.

If your handy with wiring, you could run both your highs and lows through RELAYs like this;
picture.jpg. Just add another relay wired up the same for the highs.

If your not handy with wiring, just buy THESE relay kits.

I think that mod will do the following for you;
- dramitically reduce the current flowing through the stock wiring.
- Make your existing headlights brighter.
- Make it super easy to upgrade to HIDs later.
- Make it super easy to identify where your problem is.

Either of a few things will happen with this mod.
a) Your lights will work.. everything will work. This means that your existing OEM wiring could not handle the current for whatever reason.. Good the problem has been resolved.

b) Your highs blow the 30a aux fuse under the hood. That means that you have your problem with the highs bulbs somewhere... maybe replace your bulbs? Check to see that the wiring connections are not grounding out somewhere? But at least you know where to start looking.

c) Your OEM wiring still goes 'pop' and stops working. Then you've got bigger problems with your wiring that should be looked at by a professional. Expect to pay big $$$ for that...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post 99yuk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10