Steering Wheel Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

v3nom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have an 02 suburban that didn't come with factory wheel controls. Can I get a stock wheel that has controls or will my truck be missing a harness for it? Wife want's radio controls on the wheel, so this was the easiest/cheapest thing I could think of.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have to change out the steering wheel and the clock spring with harness in order to get it to work. Im not sure if you have to reprogram anything on a 02. I know 03+ you have to reprogram the cluster to get DIC and usually need a aftermarket radio with adapter to make the steering wheel controls work.

OP
OP
V

v3nom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man. Just got my radio installed. So I need a steering wheel and a module for the head unit to read the controls.
Anything else?
Can I use a 03+wheel

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you would need a different cluster. My dad tried to do this in his 06 Silverado but he didn't have the right harness and his cluster was different than ones I've seen that came with steering wheel controls. Can you take a picture of yours?

OP
OP
V

v3nom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1754bb538e390b198d570c6eb638641f.jpg

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well crap... You have the model before the model that had the Driver Information Center... Here's a shot of mine. It's a 2004 and it came with steering wheel controls and that cluster. So you have a different cluster, steering wheel, steering shaft cover, and radio. My mom's 99 Silverado has the same interior so that's how I know. And I'm sure the cluster wiring harnesses are different. Sorry I don't think this will work without doing something major..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
V

v3nom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm OK with a cluster swap. I want to do a set of esky guages anyway. I'd be on with building a harness for the controls. Any reason why I can't do that?
Will a newer steering fit? I mean like is the shaft the same size and spline.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible but there would be a lot to do... I think this is where my helpfulness stops. I know about the physical differences between the 2 kinds but I don't know about the wiring and programming and stuff. A new steering wheel would probably fit but I don't know for sure. I haven't taken an older one off before. I would imagine the shaft and splines and stuff are the same though. You might need a newer shaft cover though. Here's another shot of mine. You can kind of see the shaft cover in it. I think these ones are more square than the older ones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84