Steering column clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a new lower column bearing (green one) to get rid of the dreaded steering wheel clunk last Sept. It worked, until now. The clunk is back, not as bad as I remember it being, but I would like it completely gone. Any advice? Oh, it's an '04 Tahoe 4x4.

Buzzcut

Reaction score
Intermediate Steering shaft is junk. Well known issue on these vehicles, change it and problem will go away.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, so ISS shaft needs replaced. Gotcha, am I going to have to replace the lower column bearing again?

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question. I was gonna order this thing thru gmpartsdirect, but I found a Dorman replacement that is cheaper through my local NAPA. Should I buy the gm part or the Dorman replacement part? Anybody had experiences with the Dorman?

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question. I was gonna order this thing thru gmpartsdirect, but I found a Dorman replacement that is cheaper through my local NAPA. Should I buy the gm part or the Dorman replacement part? Anybody had experiences with the Dorman?

Yes. I bought a Dorman and the quality is excellent. Paid $79 at Advance Auto. Suggestion. Removing the nut holding the end of the ISS inside the car is a ***** if you leave the wheels pointing straight. Before you start turn your wheel ail the way to the right and that will put the nut at 6 o'clock. Loosen the nut way out then straighten the wheel to complete the removal.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I found out what I was wanting to know plus got a helpful hint. Thanks!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy the GM part, the aftermarket companies and well known for copying the bad design and sending it to production and takes a long while to correct.

OP
OP
el_flores

el_flores

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, that's what I'm afraid of. Sacrificing quality to save some change. Anyone else want to chime in to help me out?

bankswood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Dorman is not the old design. It is the "dry" design just like GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts