Stealth speaker box to replace OEM cargo box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crossdw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Tahoe which has the OEM cargo box behind the 3rd row seat. It's very shallow and you can't store much in it so I was thinking of building a speaker box with a shallow-mount sub (12") to replace the cargo box. Has anyone done this or know if there are commercially-made boxes?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that you can find a variety of commercially-made sub enclosures through many suppliers. I recommend that you start with Crutchfield as a potential supplier, as they sell a variety of commercially-made enclosures from a number of vendors at various price points. There are other commercially-made sub enclosures suppliers, as well. You will want to look for enclosures made of at least medium-density fiberboard board and 5/8" thick walls (3/4"+ thick, if possible).

Before purchasing anything, I recommend that you identify specifically what you want out of your assembled sub, including the types of music that you prefer listening to. If you are looking primarily for volume (like being heard coming from 2 blocks away), you will probably want to lean toward a ported enclosure. If you prefer a tighter, more accurate sound reproduction from the assembled sub, you will probably want to lean toward a sealed enclosure, at the sacrifice of some overall volume.

Next, estimate how large of an enclosure you are willing to install in your truck, without taking up any more interior space than you are willing to sacrifice to it. This will establish the approximate largest enclosure size that you will be able to install in your truck. Also, determine what the maximum amount of money that you want to spend on your assembled sub project, as it will further identify and refine your available options.

Before selecting and purchasing an enclosure, I recommend that you select a speaker first. There are many available speakers from several manufacturers, at various sizes, power requirements, and price points. Each speaker has its own unique design characteristics, and the speaker's characteristics will need to match the enclosure that you place it into, in order to maximize the performance and sound quality of the combined speaker and enclosure, i.e. the assembled sub. For example, one of the key items that need to match is the interior volume of the enclosure and the speaker's design characteristics. Given that you are looking for a shallow-mount enclosure, you will need to look for a speaker that has design characteristics that are compatible with an enclosure with a smaller interior volume.

Historically, assembled subs using ported enclosures required less interior volume for the enclosure, whereas assembled subs using sealed enclosures required more interior volume for the enclosure. However, in recent years, speaker design has evolved so that more speakers are available whose design characteristics allow for smaller interior volume enclosures. Some of these newer speaker designs allowing for smaller interior volume enclosures are called 'pancake' shape speaker designs, as they are flatter and have a smaller front to back depth dimension, allowing for shallower enclosures. There are also newer conventional shape speaker designs that will allow the use of smaller volume enclosures.

Personally, I prefer a tighter, more accurate sound reproduction from the assembled sub (not interested in setting off car alarms), so I selected a conventional shape speaker that is designed specifically for smaller sealed enclosures. I selected the Audiomobile 10" model GTS 2110 speaker (American made), which is designed to be used in a sealed enclosure with 1 cu. ft. of interior volume. You can drive this speaker with a minimum of 150 RMS watts, and it will handle up to 450 RMS watts or 900 peak watts. I selected the 10" speaker size, as I personally prefer this size for tight and accurate sound reproduction.

I have a custom-designed, free-standing, downward-firing, sealed enclosure to house my 10" sub, and I placed the assembled sub between the 2nd row captain's chairs, to serve as both a sub and a table between the chairs. I have quick disconnect speaker connectors, so that I can remove the assembled sub, whenever I need the space for other purposes, and I carry a length of speaker wire with the same quick disconnect speaker connectors, so that I can move the assembled sub anywhere within the interior of my truck, depending upon my specific interior space needs on any given day. The assembled sub also serves as a 'chair' for one of my dogs (hence, all the dog hair), who sits on it and looks over my right shoulder, looking out the front windshield, when we go for rides.

I wish you the best of outcomes on your assembled sub project, and I'm sure that others on this Forum can provide you with additional perspectives, options, and recommendations.

Subwoofer.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali