Starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys 99% of the time our 2007 Tahoe starts up just fine, but once in a blue moon either we turn the key and nothing happens or it starts and the starter doesn't disengage after engine is running (engine turns over and starter continues to crank). It's happened 3 times in the 2.5 years we've had the vehicle. Just happened again yesterday so I think I need to do something about it. Engine started, starter stayed engaged, turned key to off position and waited a second, truck started up and ran no problem. Kind of scary when it happens cause it totally catches you off guard. Thinking either starter itself may need to be replaced or maybe ignition switch is the issue. Not quite sure..
Any of you guys experienced something like this?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what you are describing I would lean more towards a faulty starter, if it was just not starting I would say something else. being it is so random it's kind of hard to diagnose for sure so personally I would roll the dice and replace the starter, totally a gamble without extensive troubleshooting (at additional cost & time) at least then if it does happen again you can rule out the starter. If you decide to go that route you can order a starter online and save some money also since it's not really a emergency. places like rockauto/ebay/amazon have great prices. rockauto has a 5% discount code in the vendor section also. good luck.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
from what you are describing I would lean more towards a faulty starter, if it was just not starting I would say something else. being it is so random it's kind of hard to diagnose for sure so personally I would roll the dice and replace the starter, totally a gamble without extensive troubleshooting (at additional cost & time) at least then if it does happen again you can rule out the starter. If you decide to go that route you can order a starter online and save some money also since it's not really a emergency. places like rockauto/ebay/amazon have great prices. rockauto has a 5% discount code in the vendor section also. good luck.
I agree. Sounds like the starter to me too. A little gunk/dirt accumulation could cause that to happen.

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You're right. I'll just replace the starter. Doesn't look too hard. I really only posted to find out if there's a common issue people have experienced with these vehicles like a relay, ignition switch or something really random that would cause the issue I'm having.
Thanks for replying!

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this: I changed the starter and starter relay and problem still exists. Every once in a while it cranks odd and starts but like sputtering and you turn the key off it still continues to try to start and sputter. Very odd. Any other suggestions?
Not sure if it's starting system or fuel related.
Ignition switch, FPR, fuel pump...

Last edited:

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this: I changed the starter and starter relay and problem still exists. Every once in a while it cranks odd and starts but like sputtering and you turn the key off it still continues to try to start and sputter. Very odd. Any other suggestions?
Positive battery cable

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

This reminded me of a thread not too long ago about a truck that kept running when the key was taken out. Anybody else remember that one? @Doubeleive @swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't remember off-hand. Can't think of a solution other than the starter motor for this one either. Maybe the teeth on the fly... errr, flexplate are damaged and holding onto the starter motor gears? I've seen that before on other types.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the next step is monitor the fuel pressure to try and narrow it down, have cleaned the intake/throttle body and maf?, how is the air filter? ran any injector cleaner thru it? some people have reported similar (rough idle) problems and found running some injector cleaner for few tanks fixed the rough idle., have you ever changed the plugs/wires?

OP
OP
dross99_si

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's the current situation..
Around the same time the starting issue began occurring we were also getting EVAP codes. P0455, P0442, etc.
It all has to be related in some way.
I have replaced the gas cap (stuck with AC Delco), I have replaced the EVAP purge valve (under hood), Replaced the EVAP vent valve (under vehicle by spare tire), threw a new starter on it even though I really doubted the starter was the issue. What the heck the Tahoe has 150k so replacing some parts wasn't a huge deal.
After all this what we are left with is a P0442 (EVAP small leak) that even after cleared will pop up again after about 150-200 miles and the intermittent starting issue which presents as an extended crank with a sputtery/boggy start which only happens maybe once out of 50 starts.
The P0442 and intermittent rough start has to be related in some way. Still chasing this damn ghost.
90% of the time the vehicle starts and runs perfect. Even with the P0442 CEL it runs like normal.
Let me also mention that the rough start and CEL do not happen simultaneously if that makes sense. They are independent of each other and each occurs at random times.
if anyone can help me connect the dots on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timnazium

Latest posts