Starter Motor Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinBlue82

Reaction score
The starter on my 99 GMC Yukon Denali died about two weeks ago. I was impatient and decided to install a new carquest unit from Advanced Auto. The install was pretty straightforward but the electrical connections were corroded and the ignition wire had to be cut and a new connector was added. The truck started right up with no problems. It ran for about a week or so then left me stranded at the grocery story with what seems to be another failed starter. Anyone ever have a new starter fail so soon? Yes, the heat shield was installed from the original unit.
I went ahead and ordered an ACDELCO unit from Rockauto.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 2 starters in one year on a 91 camaro. So it is possible but i would check all your connections first. Something may have come loose. Also check the main power wire at the battery for corrosion and tightness. And while your at it run a firm grip down the the wire and check for any splits or if you find an area that feels swollen. If the wires were corroded it possible for the corrosion to run up the wire a ways before it stops and festers.

OP
OP
T

ThinBlue82

Reaction score
Swapped out the advanced auto unit for the ACDELCO. Still didn't start so I traced the ignition wire and found a short. Fixed and now everything is good to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeker