Stability System Disabled/Engine Power Reduced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! I have fighting this since December, 28, 2022, and I see the likely answer was posted by mdmcinti long ago.

I have long suspected this is a grounding issue, and agree with mdmcinti that pedal position sensors and throttle position sensors are not the type of thing that goes bad. After replacing both, the PPS twice, and the throttle body, this morning I looked at the video posted above concerning wiring, and bad connections.

I also agree that a lot of good vehicles probably have been traded off over Reduced Engine Power, and associated codes. We're close to that!!!!

This morning I had the sensor codes again, which erased, but it has been so much of a crapshoot that I don't even want my wife taking The Beast to WalMart. So, I cleaned the easiest-to-do connection, the ground on the top of the firewall.

Time will tell.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread. I am not to knowledgeable on the cable/wire system you are dealing with. Mine is drive by wire and I went through hell like this last summer. Replacing TB and sensors and pedal. It wound up being the harness had been spliced and the connections were going bad. I made one last ditch effort and started yanking looming off the harness and found the TB sensor plug had been spliced. It was SO frustrating to track down.

I know the feelings you are having with this. I was ready to get rid of it. And it still took me a few months to trust the truck again from having so much anxiety. Now I'm driving the nuts off it. I hope you can solve the issue here. Helping best I can.

Posts 44,236 & 44,239:

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread. I am not to knowledgeable on the cable/wire system you are dealing with. Mine is drive by wire and I went through hell like this last summer. Replacing TB and sensors and pedal. It wound up being the harness had been spliced and the connections were going bad. I made one last ditch effort and started yanking looming off the harness and found the TB sensor plug had been spliced. It was SO frustrating to track down.

I know the feelings you are having with this. I was ready to get rid of it. And it still took me a few months to trust the truck again from having so much anxiety. Now I'm driving the nuts off it. I hope you can solve the issue here. Helping best I can.

Posts 44,236 & 44,239:

What harness? Pedal sensor? Throttle body? Other?

I'm doing one thing at a time and still get codes and reduced engine power. Last Saturday my battery read "replace", when I don't think it actually was bad. I replaced it any way.

We're afoot and it's everything I can do to keep my wife from getting another car on Marketplace. We have four cars, but only The Beast here.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting analysis of a throttle position sensor, obviously something mere mortals would never see or know:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What harness? Pedal sensor? Throttle body? Other?

I'm doing one thing at a time and still get codes and reduced engine power. Last Saturday my battery read "replace", when I don't think it actually was bad. I replaced it any way.

We're afoot and it's everything I can do to keep my wife from getting another car on Marketplace. We have four cars, but only The Beast here.

Throttle body.

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

IMG_5821.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, explain what you're showing.

Is that before and after, or . . . . ????

My wife and I are frustrated beyond belief.

I know it's something relatively simple, but don't know everything I need to look at, and there aren't any repair shops where we're at in the Winter that are willing to spend the time to look at all these forums and videos, and see what all might be the problem.

It is a widespread issue with older GM products. There's no sense getting another one because it is what it is. Fix it and it's OK, if you can figure out what to fix.

We're afoot until I can, and we don't need to buy a fifth car just because we're frustrated.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first two are "before" pics - this is the replacement pigtail from the throttle body someone had wired in before Paw Paw (@89Suburban) owned it. He re-did the butt connections.

The wires can break about 6" or so back from the connector, under the insulation, causing intermittent throttle position values. Best to inspect by feeling the wires for abnormalities under the insulation.

OP
OP
N

NotJLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another way another guy solved the problem. Again, it's all about grounds in an aging GM problem. His last line, "GM can't solve this, but you can."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA