Squeaking pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L-Mo99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
99 Tahoe XLT 4x4 5.7L

First let me explain when the squeak starts. After about 15 minutes of driving the squeak/squeal will start and only stops when I really step on the gas. I've tried changing the cooling fan clutch after reading a couple of forums, also changed the idler pulley, along with the tensioner and serpentine belt. None of them seemed to have made a difference. Any ideas?

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
have you changed all the pulleys? if you have it could be you AC compressor going out

OP
OP
L

L-Mo99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
have you changed all the pulleys? if you have it could be you AC compressor going out
I have a few more pulleys to change I was hoping I didn't have to change all of them though..if that's what it takes I'll have to do it though

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Then do a process of elimination and start changing them out. Start w the least expensive.

Contend997

Reaction score
Sounds like the altinator when it starts putting out it putz a strain on it and causes it to squeak and when NO strain. No squeak. Spin the altinator and see what the bearings sound like. If any sounds or rough spinning then that's your problem. I have had this happen to 2 of my tahoe altinator. But I put alot of work for my alternator to keep up

OP
OP
L

L-Mo99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like the altinator when it starts putting out it putz a strain on it and causes it to squeak and when NO strain. No squeak. Spin the altinator and see what the bearings sound like. If any sounds or rough spinning then that's your problem. I have had this happen to 2 of my tahoe altinator. But I put alot of work for my alternator to keep up
Sounds good I'll check it right now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645