Split Decision... Help me make up my mind!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Well, unless you've swapped out the axles and put in freefloaters, installed higher-GVWR brakes, put in stiffer springs, replaced the frame, and installed a new receiver, I guarantee you're overloading something - GVWR, RAWR, GCWR, or all of the above. 8k is way too much for a half-ton truck. You're going to break something, or cause an accident. Hell, my 3/4-ton Suburban is at its limit pulling an 8600-lb trailer.

None of these mods addresses the weight you're towing - suspension and brakes are the biggest concern. You have a 1500-lb payload, the trailer and hitch probably contribute 1100 lbs. So you, your wife, 3 kids, Great Dane and gear are less than 400 lbs?

I told myself i wasnt going to state the obvious!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Jamo

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but mine is more hauling for work. I have a 2004 Tahoe, and I really like it, but the electronics have been driving me nuts. I was looking at spending $20K on a used Suburban or Expedition EL, with well under 100K miles.

Well...I bought a 2014 Exp. EL Limited with 80,000 miles. I have to say I got way more bank for my buck over the Suburban. The floor is flatter, the seats fold better, and the third row is there when you need it. (Tahoe seats lived in my barn). I'm happy with the EL...it is really comfy and smooth on the road. A good friend (who owns a '17 Suburban with every option) rode with us for a few hours the other day and he was impressed. They both have their pros & cons, but I'm glad I went with the EL.

I also have a local Ford dealer who happens to be a good friend so if/when it needs to go in, he will treat me well...

IMG_4332.JPG IMG_4333.JPG

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How'd it tow after you burned off all that excess weight?

How well does the Denali tow the Shamrock? What are the numbers?
It was pretty light towing it to the junk yard. I wasn't trying to go a million miles an hour and have it fall apart or pieces fall of.

Last summer we towed the shamrock with the Denali from Virginia down to Key West with a few stops in between. On our way to the first stop the engine and transmission temperatures were really high so I ordered a trucool 40k and that did the trick of cooling everything down. Other than that if I tried to keep up with traffic I would only get 4-6 mpg but if I kept my own pace I could get upwards of close to 10 but closer to 8. The shamrock is a 23 ft box with 3 queen beds and dry is somewhere around 4500. Fully loaded is maybe 1k more with supplies, kids and dogs. It pulls nice with wdh, sway control and a good brake controller. 4eeda5ae93c3fae8cc0bcf9c9ad882dd.jpg65007d1e80973d4acc341d282847ed1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last summer we towed the shamrock with the Denali from Virginia down to Key West with a few stops in between. On our way to the first stop the engine and transmission temperatures were really high so I ordered a trucool 40k and that did the trick of cooling everything down. Other than that if I tried to keep up with traffic I would only get 4-6 mpg but if I kept my own pace I could get upwards of close to 10 but closer to 8. The shamrock is a 23 ft box with 3 queen beds and dry is somewhere around 4500. Fully loaded is maybe 1k more with supplies, kids and dogs. It pulls nice with wdh, sway control and a good brake controller.

Thanks. What transmission temperatures were you seeing that caused you to upgrade?