Spark Plug Removal Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpThomass

Reaction score
So I’m having a mad hard time to change my spark plugs, The ignition wires, and during the process the spark plug heat shields came off.

Any tips ? Anyone have any experience with this or has encountered the same thing?

thanks in advance

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull them metal covers off, then grip, twist and rip the rubber boot, you should be replacing the wires as well, so it dont matter if they come apart, as they often do.

id not put them heat shields back on the new plug wires.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you say you are having a problem with the plugs, what is the problem? Access to some can be tight, is that what you are referring to?

Since you did not supply any vehicle info I suggest this:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same as above. Unless the wires are somewhat new they’ll most likely rip. If you have aluminum heads use antisieze

OP
OP
SpThomass

SpThomass

Reaction score
When you say you are having a problem with the plugs, what is the problem? Access to some can be tight, is that what you are referring to?

Since you did not supply any vehicle info I suggest this:

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Sorry about that, when I wrote this I was just in a hurry and a little angry cause of the spark plug situation, so I didn’t think to put my trucks info down.

It’s an 06’ Yukon denali XL, 6.0 engine.
I think that’s all I need to put, but it’s just a massive pain to take these things out, I assume their stuck in there, and the ignition wires too.

from the lack of service history, and the condition of the spark plugs, it seems over a decade since they were changed, if at all.

i guess the question I have Is; is there a reason they’re so hard to take out, why are the ign. Wires so stuck in? Any input would be cool!

thank you

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any rig that has had plugs and wires on for that amount of time will be difficult. There are literally 1000's of times that the plugs and wires have been heated and cooled. Expansion and contraction. I would get some penetrating fluid, a great one is AeroKroil, and spray where the plugs thread at the heads. I would not give two ***** about the wires. Rip them out of there and replace with new. The plugs will come out. In an extreme instance the plug could break off in the head. Very rare happening. I have had to remove heads to fix that when it does happen.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine in these rigs is pushed back more than some vehicles like a fwd that’s transverse mounted to balance the truck better which really does make getting to things difficult. I’m 6’2” and my truck is lowered and it’s still hard to reach some areas.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine in these rigs is pushed back more than some vehicles like a fwd that’s transverse mounted to balance the truck better which really does make getting to things difficult. I’m 6’2” and my truck is lowered and it’s still hard to reach some areas.

im 6'6 and never had a issue getting to the plugs. even the work trucks that sit higher, if need be ive stood on a cinder block or bucket. the plugs could not be in a easier place to get to in my book.

pro tip, you can get to them plugs via the wheel well if your really short or have them T rex arms lol

ive had a transverse v6, the back plugs aka fire wall side, your doing them blind most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gary2056