Slow throttle response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok 1st thing the truck is doing this with or without the ac on.

Driving lately to and from work etc the throttle seems to be lacking in response. I’ve noticed that I’m putting my foot further into the throttle to get it to go or to even downshift.

Any suggestions.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok 1st thing the truck is doing this with or without the ac on.

Driving lately to and from work etc the throttle seems to be lacking in response. I’ve noticed that I’m putting my foot further into the throttle to get it to go or to even downshift.

Any suggestions.
Any codes?

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any codes?
No unfortunately, however in the past month I’ve replaced three out of the four o2 sensors. Not getting the known symptoms of a cat or both of them plugging up. That was my thought at first.

Im wondering if it’s the TPS or something like that.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to reset your idle etc... Also your throttle body may need to cleaned out
or is getting weak/lazy
There is also the throttle pedal itself could be getting lazy, but that usually show a code
There is an updated throttle pedal/sensor assembly that is supposed to help in our years.
I did it about a month ago because I was getting some throttle codes (it turned out to be
my aftermark TB).. I don't really notice a difference in the updated part

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to reset your idle etc... Also your throttle body may need to cleaned out
or is getting weak/lazy
There is also the throttle pedal itself could be getting lazy, but that usually show a code
There is an updated throttle pedal/sensor assembly that is supposed to help in our years.
I did it about a month ago because I was getting some throttle codes (it turned out to be
my aftermark TB).. I don't really notice a difference in the updated part
You mentioned resetting the idle, how does one do that? Any idea what would cause it to go out of normal range? All I have been able to do with the truck lately is drive it to and from work. A few trips 2 -3 hour trips for stuff that we needed to get done.
Its been a bit frustrating have pedal at the top of its travel, about 1/4 to 3/4 virtually nothing then floorboard it comes back. BUT this doesn’t happen all the time.
Even more frustrating is that it is throwing NO codes.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Fuel pressure? Catalytic converter back pressure test? Fuel you run and octane?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned resetting the idle, how does one do that? Any idea what would cause it to go out of normal range? All I have been able to do with the truck lately is drive it to and from work. A few trips 2 -3 hour trips for stuff that we needed to get done.
Its been a bit frustrating have pedal at the top of its travel, about 1/4 to 3/4 virtually nothing then floorboard it comes back. BUT this doesn’t happen all the time.
Even more frustrating is that it is throwing NO codes.

You can search it quickly on the webs...
Make sure everything is OFF - ac, radio, fan, etc .. Set parking brake
Start the engine. Don't touch the throttle... Let it idle for 4 minutes after it's at operating temp
Turn of engine. Let sit for 4 minutes.
Restart engine. Let idle for 4 minutes.
Turn off engine for 4 more minutes... This will "learn" the throttle position/idle

To reset crank and cam learn, You'll need the correct scan tool

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and clean your MAF? Do you have a hot air intake? The recent warmer weather will really bring out the characteristics of an HAI.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure? Catalytic converter back pressure test? Fuel you run and octane?
Do not have #’s on fuel or back pressure, been running 89 octane for the past year or better.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and clean your MAF? Do you have a hot air intake? The recent warmer weather will really bring out the characteristics of an HAI.
Hot intake, stock setup not even a k&n filter. Will clean MAF tomorrow,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris