Slight whistle or whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
30+ years driving in the north east every time it’s cold out every single car Ive ever started in the fridgid air makes a whistle/whine and when it warms up Its gonzo.....my 2 cents

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope that is the case, I am suspecting the power steering pump is bitching, cannot ensure that because it doesn't sound like a bad power steering pump... but when I turn the wheel the noise changes, goes slightly quieter. It is -3 here right now and the truck did not like it, whined all the way to work. Of course, all the other people who don't plan ahead are late or are not coming in because of bad batteries. I get it, a battery is expensive, but its insurance so your butt does not get caught out and need a jump or tow in this kind of weather. I waste my time on my office friends, one told me the Nissan he bought a couple years back has a "V4" in it and didn't use a battery, just started off his "key"...(face palm)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hope that is the case, I am suspecting the power steering pump is bitching, cannot ensure that because it doesn't sound like a bad power steering pump... but when I turn the wheel the noise changes, goes slightly quieter. It is -3 here right now and the truck did not like it, whined all the way to work. Of course, all the other people who don't plan ahead are late or are not coming in because of bad batteries. I get it, a battery is expensive, but its insurance so your butt does not get caught out and need a jump or tow in this kind of weather. I waste my time on my office friends, one told me the Nissan he bought a couple years back has a "V4" in it and didn't use a battery, just started off his "key"...(face palm)

:derp: derp. derp.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i changed all my pulleys and when i changed the a/c tensioner the noise stopped for a day or two then came back but not as bad

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely not my power steering pump and mt alternator is brand new maybe the ac compressor or the harmonic balancer being there the only two on with the a/c tensioner ?

OP
OP
S1nemesis1s

S1nemesis1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I went to have my oil changed at Ford today - I know weird, but their dealership is within walking distance of work and they charge $22 out the door and are always nice. They called and told me that my serpentine belt seemed a little stretched and worn. I replaced this on Jan of 17 with a belt I got off of Amazon. They said that I might want to change it when I had a chance. What gets me is the noise has stopped now that we are in the uppers 40s-50s here. I went ahead and bought another belt, cheap enough, and I will replace it again. I recall that when the noise started is when I started the truck on a - 1-degree day after sitting for a month. It made a horrible screeching noise and started to whine...guess I messed up my belt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667