Should I pick up an LS6 cam or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go 6.0 if thats in your mind. How can you beat a 60hp (LQ9) gain and Zero loss of idle/ driving qualities with the swap and a retune to compliment it and thats without a cam.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the 5.3 you have now good, low to decent miles, good oil pressure? You could always add a cam, TB stall, and use that for the 6.0 when you DO pull the trigger and go big.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
hey i dont mean to jack this thread but i am curious about cams, what kind od gains are we talking, will i lose mpg? and can i change myself im fairly mechanical and i get the jist of how the cam works im just wondering what cam i should look for i have a 03 5.3l and how much $$$$

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey i dont mean to jack this thread but i am curious about cams,
what kind od gains are we talking,
will i lose mpg?
and can i change myself im fairly mechanical and i get the jist of how the cam works im just wondering what cam i should look for i have a 03 5.3l and how much $$$$

I can't say for the Tahoe,

but when I did my cam in my GTO (along with Long Tube Headers and a tune),
I gained about 75 rwhp
my around town fuel milage went down about 1mpg
but my highway milage went down about 5mpg (with the stock tune/cam, I used to get 30-31mpg on open highway, now I'm lucky to hit 26mpg)

as far as doing it yourself,
if you have to ask. I'd recomend finding a friend who's done it before to help you.

it's not all that hard, but it's really something you don't wanna mess up.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It all depends on the cam you run. Any cam company can recommend a good cam for your application. We had the cam installed in my Tahoe in less than 2 hours, but it wasn't our first time installing a cam.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Thunder Racing today and asked them about the 5.3 in my wife's truck and they suggested some of their cheater cams. The V3 for me. I'm torn between a head and cam setup or running a small 214/210 cam I have and getting a turbo setup. Just fyi they said that cam in a 5.3 with shortie headers and just a valve job on the heads made 346whp. In a Z71 with 33" tires

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dynajet? Is that different than a Dynojet? I am not sure what they use but I would imagine they have a Dynojet. I wouldn't say the number are that high for a 5.3 with worked heads, headers, exhaust, electric fans, a cam of 219/230, and a tune. I had a 6.0 with similar mods without a cam that made 340ish whp. It was a truck Vengeance built and spec'd out for me.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes DynoJet, my phone doesn't like that word either, and yes those numbers are high, but that is just from my experience, take it for what it is worth.

EDIT: A stock Z71 (with stock wheels/tires) makes 230 at the wheels on a load bearing dyno (add 20% that is DynoJet number).

Last edited:

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He said on there dyno that they baseline 230. I don't put much in dyno numbers, just use them as a barometer of what I should expect. All dynos read different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ziphren

Latest posts