Should I get rid of my denali?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all haven't been on here in a while, but you always provide great help and insight.

I have an 06 denali that is my wife's rig. We bought used a couple years ago and it has basically served our needs. However, it has one issue that keeps recurring that worries me.

Since we bought it, the rear lighting junction control box has gone out 3 times and hiccupped numerous times in between being repaired. This is not the end of the world but leaves the car dangerous to drive when it goes out because nobody can tell when she is signaling, braking, etc.

I trust the shop (midas) the have fixed it twice for free because it was within their work warranty time line.

It was is a minor accident from the previous owners.

Are these gremlins? Signs if deeper electrical/ecu issues?

I know it's a luxury rig and they require lots of maintenance, these just seems off....

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Rok

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Oh,
If curious, I posted the symptoms of the junction box issue back in October 2012. Check my profile for the "light/fuse/electrical" post

Thanks again

Rok

STL_Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is this "rear lighting junction control box" located? Several years back my Tail Lights stopped working (luckly my wife was following me somewhere).

Playing with it in the garage I saw that they would come on if I tapped the brakes hard... so I looked behind the brake pedal and tightened something up (its been years so not sure what it was), but this has fixed the issue.

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's under the rear somewhere. Driver's side?

We are going to get rid of it though. We really need more cargo space anyway with 4 kids. I'm tired of the electrical gremlins.

We will get a new suburban I expect.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passenger side rear quarter. The harness for the pass tail light plugs directly into it. I haven't heard of any issues with this...curious if they're using a GM replacement part or an off brand.

If it's a reoccurring issue I'd question the part brand they're using first. If it reoccurs with a quality replacement unit I'd question previous issues around that accident you spoke of. I'd be worried about grounding issues mainly.

Cameron

OP
OP
Rokmonanoff

Rokmonanoff

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They have fixed it 5 times now. Used parts from carquest, napa, and gm.

No change.

They say there must be a short somewhere else in the system. They haven't found it yet and expect it will probably happen again. ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSTBLFKR43