SES light w/ code help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgtmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my check engine light came on, code is P0440, tried a search but was unable to find any info.

I my PCV is making a wierd/new sound, so I am hoping it's that. Anyone have any ideas otherwise.

Thanks

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
P0440 is a manfunction or leak in the evap system.

I'm not sure if a bad PCV would cause the code, though. I would assume it is considered part of the EVAP system seeing how it pipes crankcase fumes into the intake.

I would start by replacing it. The PCV is pretty important on a car.

OP
OP
S

sgtmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats the plan, just wondering if anything else is a common faliure?

Thanks

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Sometimes a loose gas cap can cause an evap code.

Tommy 874

Reaction score
I was told code p0440 was caused by the gas tank pressure sensor.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
since you have a 1998 check your gas cap. if that was the problem it will go away in about 1-2 drive cycles. and pcv may hiss or buzz or rattle a bit if that is what you hear.

OP
OP
S

sgtmac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
since you have a 1998 check your gas cap. if that was the problem it will go away in about 1-2 drive cycles. and pcv may hiss or buzz or rattle a bit if that is what you hear.

I did hear a buzz, but I didn't hear it before so I figured I would change it anyway.

I will loosen, and re-tighten the cap, see if that helps.

It seems this code could be a bunch of stuff, any way to narrow it down, or check usual suspects? I hate to start throwing parts at it.

Milky1112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the Evap codes i've seen, replaced gas cap fixed them... (I worked at Oreilly for a while and changed several for that reason) no more codes..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicman31_04