service 4wd message on 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfnc25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went offroading some this weekend in beach sand two days in a row. I have been out there before and never seen the message when I go back to 2wd. The 4H seemed to do fine out there and I didn't hear any weird noises or seen any signs of failure with the pull. When I got off the beach I put it back in 2wd and just happen to look down about 15 mins later and noticed it said "service 4wd". I tried to push the 4wd high and low and even Auto 4wd buttons but they would not light up but that's not to say they didn't kick into 4wd because I really can't tell when it goes from 2wd to 4wd. I stopped at a store and got the manual out and it pretty much says turn off the engine and turn it back and if the light comes back or comes on later an stays on take it in to be looked at. I turned it off and back on and the message went away and the buttons would work again. I have researched online and from what it sounds like from others it could be a sensor malfuction with the switch or something like that, but I'd also like to get some opinions from you guys.

My big question is should I immediately take it to a mechanic and should I not try to go offroading unitl I get it looked out. I don't want to be out there and the 4wd go out and I'm stuck. I really don't know if the 4wd is going out though because it is hard to tell until you are actually feeling it pull which doesn't happen on the open road.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Tahoe has 65k miles and is 2004, thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jterry76