Service 4 wheel drive safe to drive 2 wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thirsty1258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have a 2007 z71 suburban and this morning while backing out of the driveway to take my son to school the truck felt very sluggish. Bby the time I hit the street the service 4 wheel light came on and I parked it for a second and switched the truck from auto to 4 high the light turned on I tried 4 low and now light so I switched it to 2 wheel and I had a light.

I drove in 2 wheel and it didn't feel any different but I guess my 4 low is dead or something.

I have 95000 miles on it right now and do not know much about these trucks.

Is this something I need to get done ASAP or can I stay in 2 wheel. Also any idea of pricing to fix this. Funds are tight right now and hopefully things change in the next few months.

Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be fine in 2wd But I would get it looked at and stay out of Auto or any 4wheel drive selection in the meantime

OP
OP
T

thirsty1258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I was assuming that while backing out of my slightly inclined driveway it must have auto engaged 4 low in reverse and it broke eventually.

I have my buddy that works for gm who can hopefully get parts if I need them.

OP
OP
T

thirsty1258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it's back on and working weird.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Its probably thinking it has to be in 4wd or the actuator is bad. Get it checked out and fixed.

Yukon11

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Yukon at 38K miles, it was a faulty actuator. Although covered under warranty the receipt showed $20 in parts...throw in labor and you're still under $100. took about 45mins to fix.

OP
OP
T

thirsty1258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my Yukon at 38K miles, it was a faulty actuator. Although covered under warranty the receipt showed $20 in parts...throw in labor and you're still under $100. took about 45mins to fix.

Awesome thanks!

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 did the exact same thing on one of our colder days here in texas about a week ago (it was around 29* leaving for work in the morning)
same deal: backing out of drive way, then sluggish low power feel, service 4wd light came on (i was in auto), switched to 2wd, parked and shut her down
about 30 minutes later after cosulting my manual and the internet, i fired it back up (no service 4wd light) drove around for a few min's in 2wd w/ no issue, put it back in auto and cruised around w/ no issues and hasn't happened again since.

Could cold weather have anything to do with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700