Sending Unit Repair Costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SP543

Reaction score
Filled up my new to me 2003 Yukon yesterday. Smelt fuel and sure enough have some leaking out of the top of the tank somewhere. Im guessing that since the gas gauge is not working the sending unit needs to be replaced anyway and might have corrosion issues causing the leak. How much should this repair cost? If its reasonable I might just get it done at a shop, rather not deal with dropping the full 30 gallon tank in my garage.
Thanks

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Filled up my new to me 2003 Yukon yesterday. Smelt fuel and sure enough have some leaking out of the top of the tank somewhere. Im guessing that since the gas gauge is not working the sending unit needs to be replaced anyway and might have corrosion issues causing the leak. How much should this repair cost? If its reasonable I might just get it done at a shop, rather not deal with dropping the full 30 gallon tank in my garage.
Thanks

If you WERE to do it yourself why not just drive it till the tank is near empty before you do it. LOL

Honestly, depending on the shop, between $300-$600. The higher end would include the fuel filter change (should be done regardless but some shops wont).

As far as sending unit assemblies go, stay away from airtex. They don't last atleast in my experience with them. Get the Delphi OEM unit if you can afford it. It's double the cost generally at about $180 but it will last longer (pump and sending unit).

Cheapest way to go about it is to find a shop that will install a part you bring in. Then have them quote the fuel sending unit job for you. When they tell you the price (parts and labor), ask how much labor is alone. Then ask if you can bring in your own part. If you find a shop that will do this then keep in mind usually there is NO WARRANTY on your part or labor.

POZ7cnb.png

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it on your own. Its not bad at all if the tank has 10 or less gallons in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts