seat bottom remove/ swap seat module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreeIndeed

Reaction score
The memory functions in my 05 Denali XL have never worked right. So, I finally got around to picking up a used (but supposedly working) seat control module. It's right under the drivers seat and has a bunch of harnesses to it.

Does anyone know how to remove the bottom section of the seat so that I could swap the module out?

Thanks!:rockit:

OP
OP
FreeIndeed

FreeIndeed

Reaction score
Ok, I got it on my own. It wasn't too bad. But just in case anyone else wants to do it, here's a brief write-up with pics to follow.

- As long as you're not going to completely remove the seat bottom, you don't have to remove the side switches and plate. If you do want to remove them, use a phillips bit to remove the five screws and then pull out on the panel. There are some clips that should pop it free. You'll need to disconnect a harness at the front and back of the panel. Be careful and pry the securing clips back before pulling them apart.

-Under the front of the seat you'll find two larger nuts that hold the seat bottom down. You'll need a 13mm socket to remove these two.

-There are 2 wiring harnesses right up front that you'll have to disconnect. Each one is secured to the bottom of the seat by a little push in clip. You can pull down on them and the clips will release, giving you a little more working space. Disconnect both of these.

-At this point you can lift the seat up in the front and prop it up with something so you can work. (If you were going to remove the seat bottom completely, there are 2 more harnesses that have to be disconnected - one on each side of the seat. )

-The seat control module is held in by two 7mm screws on the left side. Remove them and then you can push the module to the right, which frees up 2 clips and will let you lift it up a little.

-Remove the 2 harnesses on the right side of the module and then remove 2 harnesses from underneath. Now it's free to remove.

-Swap your new one in and re-install all of the harnesses. Put everything back together and you should be done!

So far, so good on mine. Everything on my old one worked except it would not move the seat to the right positions if you used the memory function. This seems to work now. The only odd thing is that the forward -backward switch seems to work opposite now. I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me. My wife takes the truck a lot and being able to recall my position will be awesome.

Disclaimer: I am a semi-mechanical noob. I do not work for GM and have never been a mechanic. This write up is just what worked for me. Hopefully it help someone else - but I make no guarantees.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Also, I bought a used one out of an 05 Silverado. The main number was the same, so I tried it. If you want to buy one, you should be able to pick up a Dorman 590-002 for about $250. Again, this PN is for an 05 Yukon Denali XL. Check with dorman though, because this part covers a wide range of GM full size vehicles.
:grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879