Seat Belt Extenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sennister

Reaction score
I thought I would mention this here as an FYI as I wasn't aware of this until a couple years ago. We have two kids, 6 and 9. They are old/big enough now that we have them in the basic booster seats. One of the hard things for them is to get the seat belt on themselves while sitting on that 3" or so foam block. However if you go to the dealer's parts department and ask for seatbelt extenders they will give them to you for free. Sometimes they ask you how long of an extender you want and some other information. For some reason in our 03 Avalanche they had some mid year change in the seatbelts because they needed to know if the release button said "PRESS" or not. With our Denali they just asked year and which row they were for. Maybe there is a difference between the front and mid/rear rows. They had to order them but 2 days later I got a call that the 5 extenders I requested were in and no charge when I picked them up. This is also the case with other makes of vehicles. We picked them up for free from VW for our Jetta. I believe there is a federal requirement to supply them when someone is too large to get a belt around them.

The extenders do not change the routing of the belt they just extend the buckle about 6" so there isn't a positioning issue with our kids. You may want to be cautious if they are just transitioning into this style seat and ensure the placement is right on their body. Technically it introduces another point of failure but they are manufactured by the auto maker so I would trust it more than the ones you can buy from ebay or Amazon. Besides why buy it when you can get them for free.

Big Homie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for this. My oldest is in a booster seat but since her little sister was born last month I moved her booster seat to the third row, and she has a hard time digging in the seat to buckle her seat belt, and dad has to climb back there to buckle her in, which defeats the purpose of me putting her back there in the first place lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Big Homie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just an update I called my local dealer and they said they're still free so I'm going to order them soon, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JPatton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just ordered 2 of the extenders for my 2008 Denali to use with my kids seats in the back row. GM still offers them for free but they only have them in black and only in a 9" or 15" length. I wish I knew this before I ordered a pair of them from Amazon. The Amazon ones didn't fit my Yukon but they do fit in my wife's 2013 Buick Enclave. I don't know why they would use different seat belt buckle widths between the Buick and GMC line.

TARDIS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the GMT400/OBS seat belt extender.

I need one for the second row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz