"Scratch-proof" rear bow tie GOLD PORTION removal process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents -- It's going to be warm here for the next week, and so I'm hoping to finally remove just the gold portion of my rear bow tie (leaving the chrome portion in tact). I've read about people scratching the crap out of the chrome potion along the way, and I'm hoping to avoid that. Is there a method that works every time? Should I just hold a hair dryer on it and really heat it up until I can just lift that portion off? Or, is it not going to be that easy?

Need some direction, folks. Thanks.

Wakinvol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat, pry up one corner and get braided fishing line behind the gold portion. Then just saw your way through the adhesive...not hard at all.

johnsoex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat, pry up one corner and get braided fishing line behind the gold portion. Then just saw your way through the adhesive...not hard at all.

I did exactly what he said ^^^, except I used a heat gun (sparingly). Get some 3M adhesive remover to remove the sticky adhesive left behind. You can buy it at NAPA, Oreilys etc.

I was going to remove the gold bowtie and leave the chrome backing too, but it didn't look as good as I thought it would. Have a backup plan incase you don't like the chrome because the gold will likely peel out off the bowtie once you remove it and you won't be able to make it look right again. good luck!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'll assume that it's the fishing line that can scratch up the chrome portion if you're not careful, right? So, as long as I don't run it along the chrome, am I good to go?

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishing line working up and down is a BAD idea in my experience. I scratched mine a wee bit. If I had to do all over again... I would thread the line in, and pull out breaking the gold part into chunks and cleaning the adhesive. That is how I did the latter part and no scratches.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

If I knew how to post pics i would show you the end result :chicken:

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GIB-- Thanks for that info. That's what's I suspected.

For pics, just upload the pics to a site like photobucket, and then follow the Manage Files prompts under the Message window when you post. Easy. Would love to see the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan1126

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine fell off on its own when i pried the whole emblem off. i painted the clear part and then glued it back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper