RWD to AWD Conversion???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pobodysnerfect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone converted their Tahoe to AWD? I may have a lead on a cheap Escalade that I’d like to pull the driveline out of and put in my RWD Tahoe. If so other than trans, transfer case, front differential/axles is there anything else I would need? I’m also assuming it should all bolt right up no issues since it’s the same chassis? My Tahoe is an 04 the Escalade is an 05.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I have read about that been done to the single cabs on the Silverado SS forum. I don't see why it could not be done to a Tahoe. You may wanna get on that forum and ask those folks what it all is needed besides the items you already listed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get underneath and compare cross members, particularly at the front to make sure there are provisions for mounting the front differential. I thought there were some differences on the frames between 2WD and 4WD/AWD units, but am not positive.

Also check to see what the gear ratios are for both vehicles. If they are different, you may need to have someone change up some stuff to have your shift points set right and your speedometer read properly.

You didn’t mention drive shafts on your list, but you will need those as well.

OP
OP
Pobodysnerfect

Pobodysnerfect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah I already had planned on driveshafts and gearing changes possibly for the Tahoe or just swapping over the rear end as well. From what little info I’ve been able to find as long as it’s a NP149 there shouldn’t be to many electronics associated to make it work. Just looking for input or issues that may arise or if anyone has ever done the swap.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I already had planned on driveshafts and gearing changes possibly for the Tahoe or just swapping over the rear end as well. From what little info I’ve been able to find as long as it’s a NP149 there shouldn’t be to many electronics associated to make it work. Just looking for input or issues that may arise or if anyone has ever done the swap.
Confirm that the front spindles and wheel bearings are set up for running a CV shaft.

Only electronics might be output shaft speed sensors on the transfer case that would tie into the Stabilitrak system.

Another item to keep in mind is with AWD, you will need to make sure all 4 tires are the same. This can be a pain if at 30K you blow a tire and have to get a set of 4 so you don’t tear up the drive train with mismatched tire circumferences.

OP
OP
Pobodysnerfect

Pobodysnerfect

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wouldnt it just be easier to stick the Tahoe body onto the Escalade chassis?
The issue with that is the Escalade was in a front end collision. I don’t want to mess with fixing all that. Also my chassis has 121,000 the Escalade has 244,000. I’m also planning to use the 6.0 in another project if I do buy the Escalade.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another item to keep in mind is with AWD, you will need to make sure all 4 tires are the same. This can be a pain if at 30K you blow a tire and have to get a set of 4 so you don’t tear up the drive train with mismatched tire circumferences.
Short of going to a different tire size, the awd system wont care about 7/32 worth of tread vs 13/32. If that was the case one tire being at 40psi and another being at 25, because the owner doesn't pay attention, would have dead awd vehicles littering the shoulders of the Interstate. Hell, govlocs aren't that picky with a new and a worn tire on the rear... and they explode if you look at them wrong.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short of going to a different tire size, the awd system wont care about 7/32 worth of tread vs 13/32. If that was the case one tire being at 40psi and another being at 25, because the owner doesn't pay attention, would have dead awd vehicles littering the shoulders of the Interstate. Hell, govlocs aren't that picky with a new and a worn tire on the rear... and they explode if you look at them wrong.
Can’t say that I agree with your stance, but that’s fine. I tend to error on the side of caution and not put undue stress and wear on my vehicle. Just like I won’t put a spare donut on the drive axle of a vehicle.

Roadtested

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone converted their Tahoe to AWD? I may have a lead on a cheap Escalade that I’d like to pull the driveline out of and put in my RWD Tahoe. If so other than trans, transfer case, front differential/axles is there anything else I would need? I’m also assuming it should all bolt right up no issues since it’s the same chassis? My Tahoe is an 04 the Escalade is an 05.
Did you get this done? I'm interested in a follow up.