Rough idle when warmed up only, no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spectralen

Reaction score
2014 1500 Suburban w/ 71,000. Runs real smooth on start and until the temperature gets half way to normal. Then you can feel little shakes or slight miss fires. Tried Techron a few times with little gas in the tank, checked for vacuum leaks with starting fluid, not finding it.
Bad temp sensor?

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will definitely want to put it on an obd reader so you can see
the REAL water temp.. The gauge shows 210 from about 175-220.. just
slightly better than a dummy light
You may also just need some old fashioned TLC
New fluid, plugs, wires, clean MAF, Clean Throttle Body...
Run some top tier premium thru it... The techron concentrate in the
black bottle is the bomb.. Use it with the right amount fuel and run
it thru totally...
Replace air filter, Clean out the air filter intake box, etc

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
I’ve cleaned throttle body, air filters good.
The temp sensor I’m referring to is the one that tells the computer to lean out the fuel because the engine is warm. I’m wondering if it’s giving a wrong signal and the computer is giving a little too much fuel for the temp? It runs smooth when cold.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The temp sensor I’m referring to is the one that tells the computer to lean out the fuel because the engine is warm. I’m wondering if it’s giving a wrong signal and the computer is giving a little too much fuel for the temp? It runs smooth when cold.
I think Tom gave some solid advice, I would take care of ALL that then see how it runs, a temp sensor issue is unlikely but like he said you can scan the live data and rule it in or out.
at 71k there is plenty of maintenance to do if it has not been done already, even though the spark plugs are rated 100k it doesn't mean they will still be efficient at 100k in all circumstances, plug wires get funky too, clean that maf a lot of what the engine and transmission do depends on the maf data.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I don't know if you know this so I am gonna share with you. A temp sensor that tells the computer the engine temp is the coolant temp sensor and helps the computer interact with the oxygen sensors go in to "closed loop" to lean out the fuel mixture. A bad coolant temp sensor is like having a problem with the choke on a carb system. The temp sensor itself does not lean the system out unless the rig also has proper working oxygen sensors.

I recently had a Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor go bad, the front sensor on the driver's side of the engine, and that caused a rough idle when warm and a stumble when tried to accelerate. I went ahead and replaced all 4 oxygen sensors so they would be the same age.

OP
OP
spectralen

spectralen

Reaction score
I don't know if you know this so I am gonna share with you. A temp sensor that tells the computer the engine temp is the coolant temp sensor and helps the computer interact with the oxygen sensors go in to "closed loop" to lean out the fuel mixture. A bad coolant temp sensor is like having a problem with the choke on a carb system. The temp sensor itself does not lean the system out unless the rig also has proper working oxygen sensors.

I recently had a Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor go bad, the front sensor on the driver's side of the engine, and that caused a rough idle when warm and a stumble when tried to accelerate. I went ahead and replaced all 4 oxygen sensors so they would be the same age.
Were you getting an engine light/ code with your issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667