Rough idle/ shuddering in idle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace the fuel injoctors, spark plugs, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, cats and O2 sensors, and the fuel pump and it will still idle like shit.

Best bet it to run premium fuel. Or better yet tune your motor to properly accept premium fuel and raise the idle to 600

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I heartily agree with this recommendation, I would ALSO:
check ground wires for solid connections
check alternator & battery with stress / load tests (preferably with every single accessory on all at once)
check fuel pressures at idle, & 2nd gear start if you have that feature enabled
check PCV Valve or orifice-thingy
Passed battery and alternator tests

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace the fuel injoctors, spark plugs, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, cats and O2 sensors, and the fuel pump and it will still idle like shit.

Best bet it to run premium fuel. Or better yet tune your motor to properly accept premium fuel and raise the idle to 600
The idle is 600 stock in park and I do run premium. It idles at 500 when I’m drive

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idle doesn’t seem to be affected on the tachometer, but I can feel some shuttering every few seconds. But it’s not struggling to stay started and it’s not dying. Basically shaking without idle change.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Passed battery and alternator tests
Still other tests to do ...
Idle doesn’t seem to be affected on the tachometer, but I can feel some shuddering every few seconds.
But it’s not struggling to stay started and it’s not dying. Basically shaking without idle change.
Change the plugs and wires.
If after that, you still have the same shudder, replace the coils - they're at least as old as the plugs after all.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still other tests to do ...Change the plugs and wires.
If after that, you still have the same shudder, replace the coils - they're at least as old as the plugs after all.
What do you mean by other tests? How can I test the plugs? All that shows on obd is the spark advance. Can I look at fuel trims and stuff too, to diagnose the rough idle?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s flex fuel tho ??

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So are you implying that running 91 and 93 premium is my issue?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I heartily agree with this recommendation, I would ALSO:
check ground wires for solid connections
check fuel pressures at idle, & 2nd gear start if you have that feature enabled
check PCV Valve or orifice-thingy
You said the battery and alternator passed. OK.
You can replace the fuel injectors, spark plugs, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, cats and O2 sensors, and the fuel pump and it will still idle like shit.

Best bet it to run premium fuel.
Or better yet tune your motor to properly accept premium fuel and raise the idle to 600RpM.
So are you implying that running 91 and 93 premium is my issue?
He's implying that NOT running premium is your issue.
It’s flex fuel though??
Since E85 burns cleaner than premium (and has higher octane too), maybe run several tankfuls of E85, and see if that cleans things up a bit.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said the battery and alternator passed. OK.He's implying that NOT running premium is your issue.Since E85 burns cleaner than premium (and has higher octane too), maybe run several tankfuls of E85, and see if that cleans things up a bit.
Actually i recall usually only using e85, and then I started using premium 93 and the idle got Worse.
I’m confused now, so run e85: The cheapest gas available… or run premium??

I feel like using premium may be the issue. I could be wrong.

In the mean time I’ll do plugs and wires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jnice28