Road Trip Prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In taking my 'hoe for a big cross Country road Trip over the summer. Will be around 10,000 miles over a few weeks, and will include some off road/ overland type driving.

Anyone got some tips on what to do / bring to prepare? She's about to hit 300,000 miles already, so I don't expect to make it without anything going wrong, but I'd like to reduce the chance of getting stranded somewhere

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? If not I'd do that for piece of mind. Transmissions are weak points. Has yours been well maintained? Brake lines are also prone to rust. I'd check those also.
My 04 has 160,000 and has had issues with these 3 items. Now that they are squared away, I'd take it on a trip like your planing in a heart beat.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In taking my 'hoe for a big cross Country road Trip over the summer. Will be around 10,000 miles over a few weeks, and will include some off road/ overland type driving.

Anyone got some tips on what to do / bring to prepare? She's about to hit 300,000 miles already, so I don't expect to make it without anything going wrong, but I'd like to reduce the chance of getting stranded somewhere
Page 4

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/best-starter-tool-kit-for-new-owners.87600/page-4

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? If not I'd do that for piece of mind. Transmissions are weak points. Has yours been well maintained? Brake lines are also prone to rust. I'd check those also.
My 04 has 160,000 and has had issues with these 3 items. Now that they are squared away, I'd take it on a trip like your planing in a heart beat.

I did the fuel pump less than 30k ago, transmission seems in good shape, the truck has really had almost all highway driving, and almost never towed. I changed the Trans fluid (just dropped pan and did filter) recently, it was in pretty good shape, didn't seem dirty or bad smelling, so that was reassuring.

Brake lines have never been touched.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said what I said already but buy a strip and make sure your coolant is proper. But geez it's still December...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900