Rides like a Cadillac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonestock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 5100 are really great for the money! Here's my opinion rating on shocks - King > Icon > Foxes > Dirt Logic > Bilstein 5160s > 5100 > Rancho 9000 > 5000. If anything can be better for the front end it would be the coilover conversion from Atomic.

Bilstein and the atomic coil over. That's what I'm hoping to do. Fill bushings come first though. Came across this thread looking for bushing threads.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
5100s are well worth it. Made the truck ride like new again. Need to get new bushings and such installed now too.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5100s are well worth it. Made the truck ride like new again. Need to get new bushings and such installed now too.

Have to agree with this. I'm at about 4000+ miles on my 5100's and it's made a big difference. Even my wife noticed the better ride.

It's funny - I've heard people say they want to run Bilsteins but they're too expensive so they run something cheaper.

Now I'm a card-carrying cheapskate (or at least I would be if those cards weren't so damn expensive! :D ) but the difference between Bilsteins and cheap shocks is - what, $20 - $30 per shock? Hell, I'll gladly pay $120 more for 4 shocks if it means I don't have to replace them sooner - replacing those front shocks was a total PITA even with two of us working on them!

OP
OP
B

BlenderWizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have to agree with this. I'm at about 4000+ miles on my 5100's and it's made a big difference. Even my wife noticed the better ride.

It's funny - I've heard people say they want to run Bilsteins but they're too expensive so they run something cheaper.

Now I'm a card-carrying cheapskate (or at least I would be if those cards weren't so damn expensive! :D ) but the difference between Bilsteins and cheap shocks is - what, $20 - $30 per shock? Hell, I'll gladly pay $120 more for 4 shocks if it means I don't have to replace them sooner - replacing those front shocks was a total PITA even with two of us working on them!
That's where I was with the shocks. Monroes or something of the like were only about $20 or so cheaper, so I ponied up. Plus, they're German, so I know they're good

MikeW

Reaction score
Well, if you guys want a first hand opinion of how to improve your ride in a Z71 Tahoe with a quarter million miles on it, here goes:

Within the past week, I've replaced all four shocks with Bilsteins, and replaced the rear coils with new Moogs. I also had the thing leveled, which seemed to have no impact on the ride quality whatsoever.

It now feels like I'm riding around on an endless line of ball bearings.

Ok for a guy who is NOT mechanically inclined - (2002 LS Tahoe, 280K miles) - what do I need to order/purchase - to get mine to ride like a Caddy? Thank you in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71