Retained Accessory Power or 12 volt accessory help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevev28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
MAybe this is common knowledge but it has been driving me crazy for two days. I'm installing two headrest monitors. I'm looking to tie into the retained power that the radio and other accessories use after the key is off. however i can't find a 12v source. I have heard there is a plug somewhere but am unable to locate. A picture would be nice. all the threads I'v seem have a pic but its x'd out. Is there a source in the fuse box I can tap off of? If RAP isn't a possibility where is an easy place to tap off accessory power. Trying to avoid the steering column. Any advise woulld be helpful. thanks

blaqout

King Yukon
Reaction score
When I installed my overhead monitor, the vendor told me to use the fuse box under the hood. I, being hard headed, just ran mine to the 12v source on the passenger side dash panel next to the glove compartment between the dash and the passenger side door. There were some wires in there so I just found a 12v source. I have to remember to turn it off when the car is off though or it will drain the battery so needless to say when I install my head unit I will be re-locating that wire to the 12v acc on the back of the radio.

OP
OP
S

stevev28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See that is the problem. There is not 12v acc on the back of the radio. It only has constant power. It is turned on and off by a bus signal wire. (not 12v) I think I may have figured it out but may need to use a relay. I'll post if it works.

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse 49 is switched... Get one of those "add-a-fuse" things, run a wire from the add a fuse to the headrest monitors

EDIT: Just an FYI it is the thermometer/compass on the rearview mirror... it worked in both an 07 Tahoe and 08 Yukon... I just kept a constant 12v on for my radar on an 09 Denali

Last edited:

jdub5256

J-DUB
Reaction score
If i am not mistaking couldnt you just use the add a fuse thing and tap into the radio fuse. that way anytime your radio is on the tv is to and when the radio is off the tv is 2

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i am not mistaking couldnt you just use the add a fuse thing and tap into the radio fuse. that way anytime your radio is on the tv is to and when the radio is off the tv is 2

That would be the logical way right? But no, the radio has unswitched power. Like I said, fuse 49

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip fuse 49 worked great ran wires hooked it up everythign worked like a charm now if the deck was as easy

I might try and switch the homelink or whatever to being switched... a little bit more secure so at least acc power needs to be on

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuse 49 is switched... Get one of those "add-a-fuse" things, run a wire from the add a fuse to the headrest monitors

EDIT: Just an FYI it is the thermometer/compass on the rearview mirror... it worked in both an 07 Tahoe and 08 Yukon... I just kept a constant 12v on for my radar on an 09 Denali

How many amps are on fuse 49?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84