Replicating NorcalSS Drop Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear is currently at 4.5in drop.
I've got the DJM hardware kit install. (Trailing arm and shock relocation brackets). I'm currently running stock rear shocks and looking to upgrade. Since I'm running the DJM shock relocation brackets, there's no need to buy drop shocks correct? So I assume I should just get a quality, stock length rear shock?
Any advantage/disadvantage of running a drop shock with the shock relocation brackets?
Thanks!

Doug got you lined out, but for some details as to WHY: The shock relocation brackets (AKA "extenders") lower the mounting point of the shock 2", so you regain 2" of lost travel from the drop. For a 2" drop, the shock would have its full travel and you could use a stock-replacement shock. For a 3" drop, the shock would only be compressed 1" so that's okay. With a 4.5" drop, the stock shock is compressed 4.5". The relocators add 2" of length, so the shock is then "only" compressed 2.5". This is still way too much on a stock-length shock and puts you very close to bottoming out the shock. Drop shocks are shorter to fit in the now reduced space. I think the 2410FF are around 2.x" shorter. These, coupled with the extenders will give you the amount of travel you had before with no danger of bottoming out.

Clearly, you've done the free travel mod and probably the sway bar relocator. The next points of contact are the panhard bar mount (driver side, on the axle) bumping the cross member above it and the sway bar hitting the panhard bar frame mount. Or maybe it's the shock bolt? I forget, but it's on the passenger side. If it hits when taking turns and hitting bumps, you'll hear it and see rubbed metal under there. Minor clearancing with a grinder is all that's needed.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doug got you lined out, but for some details as to WHY: The shock relocation brackets (AKA "extenders") lower the mounting point of the shock 2", so you regain 2" of lost travel from the drop. For a 2" drop, the shock would have its full travel and you could use a stock-replacement shock. For a 3" drop, the shock would only be compressed 1" so that's okay. With a 4.5" drop, the stock shock is compressed 4.5". The relocators add 2" of length, so the shock is then "only" compressed 2.5". This is still way too much on a stock-length shock and puts you very close to bottoming out the shock. Drop shocks are shorter to fit in the now reduced space. I think the 2410FF are around 2.x" shorter. These, coupled with the extenders will give you the amount of travel you had before with no danger of bottoming out.

Clearly, you've done the free travel mod and probably the sway bar relocator. The next points of contact are the panhard bar mount (driver side, on the axle) bumping the cross member above it and the sway bar hitting the panhard bar frame mount. Or maybe it's the shock bolt? I forget, but it's on the passenger side. If it hits when taking turns and hitting bumps, you'll hear it and see rubbed metal under there. Minor clearancing with a grinder is all that's needed.

It’s the shock bolt on the passenger side. You have to go very low to hit the panhard bar mount on the pass side

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the shock bolt on the passenger side. You have to go very low to hit the panhard bar mount on the pass side

Thanks for the reminder/clarification. It's been a while.

I remember now what got me thinking about the passenger/frame side panhard mount- I had to clearance it after the new sway bar. I'm "only" at 4.5" rear drop but that fat bar took up the few millimeters of clearance.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder/clarification. It's been a while.

I remember now what got me thinking about the passenger/frame side panhard mount- I had to clearance it after the new sway bar. I'm "only" at 4.5" rear drop but that fat bar took up the few millimeters of clearance.
You have any pictures of how you did it? I don’t run a sway bar in the rear but really want to install one. A bigger one would be nice

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dont forget my new links. Chromoly/3-6 drop range/mo questions asked warranty/built per order/swaybar lock/grade 8 bigger bolt upgrade (kills slop which can be seen the oem bolts leave behind)/includes hardware to install also

Last edited:

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Oh and for the kit my combo which pricing I pretty much have best on if you go route on the belltech parts

Spindles bell
shocks bell
Rear spacers bell
Rear my 6" springs
Rear extenders shocks belltech
Rear apoc arm kit and panhard
Rear helpers
Rear bumpstops for free travel mod
Rear my HD endlink upgrade

2250 shipped to your door for those parts with tax

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622-150543.png