replacing factory steel brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJR

Reaction score
So I had mine replaced by a local mechanic, er a friend of a friend. 900 for all of them with the poly coated rust resistant line. 2 weeks later RR line going into the rubber hose to the wheel is leaking a little. Have to take it back in. Anyone have trouble with lines leaking after installation? He bent all of them on his own. I'm just wondering if he used a single flare instead of double and that is causing an issue. Now I'm concerned about the rest of them.

MikeRIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I had mine replaced by a local mechanic, er a friend of a friend. 900 for all of them with the poly coated rust resistant line. 2 weeks later RR line going into the rubber hose to the wheel is leaking a little. Have to take it back in. Anyone have trouble with lines leaking after installation? He bent all of them on his own. I'm just wondering if he used a single flare instead of double and that is causing an issue. Now I'm concerned about the rest of them.

When I ordered my kit from classic tube they came with these little copper crush washers, I don't think we used those on the rubber to stainless connections, I think those were just the master cylinder and abs block.

I do recall most of my lines leaking when we were done. Classic tube said to just tighten harder. Sure enough, with enough leverage we were able to get them to tighter more and the leaking stopped.

Single vs. double could be the issue, but if only one wheel is leaking he probably just didn't tighten that one enough.

MDJR

Reaction score
I took the truck back to him and I'm also having all the rubber lines to the calipers replaced as well, including the one splitter over the spare just for peace of mind. Hopefully this will be the last of major brake repairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz