replacing factory steel brake lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geddy2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just installed new bigger front rotors, pads and calipers, new rear backing plate, rotors and pads on my 2002 Yukon SLT. While under the car, i noticed that all the steel brake lines are in extremely bad shape. They have layers of rust caked on them. I didn't feel like starting a big project but after bleeding all the brakes, well you guess it! One of the lines going toward the front of the truck near the ABS unit let go. Leaked all the brake fluid on my garage floor after spending all that time bleeding them.
I am not going to replace just that line because, all the other are in the same pathetic shape and would probable blow too if i wiggle them enough.

I am disgusted that these line can be in this bad of shape. I bought the truck new in 02, never took it to the beach and the truck is garaged, for the brake line to be in this bad of shape has to be some sort of cheap material that GMC used. I googled this problem and found that this is a common and very dangerous problem that most GM 1500 and SUV truck are having. Many people has got into accidents because of brake line failure. So to all, check your brake lines ASAP.

Neverless, i have to replace them. I am looking at the stainless prebent brake line kit that Classic tube makes. It looks like a kit that will never need to be replaced again once installed. Has anyone here tried to tackle this job. It does not look too bad but it is pain trying to get at some of the areas where you can't see, especially the rear brake lines that run along the frame rail. Those clips that the brake lines sit in are a pain in the ass and it is in those areas that major rust appears.

MikeRIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just found this thread. Did you ever do this? I am having the same issue with my truck, and if you would let me know anything I need to look out for, or where I could get a pre-bent kit, I would really, really appreciate it. Classic-tube doesn't have a kit listed for our trucks, do they make one that's just not on the web?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
G

geddy2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
MikeRIC, I did do this a while back. I ordered the kit from classic tube. I still have the big box it came in. It would be easier to do the job if you have a helper. Make sure you follow the lines going into the ABS module. I did them in a specific order because it is ...king tight for space. You will have a hard time trying to tighten the flare nuts if you did follow the specific order. You will see once you start the job. If you have any other questions, pm me. I think the kit was $350ish plus shipping. everything was perfectly bent.

MikeRIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the info! I do have a friend that is going to help me do it, just trying to get my research done before we tackle it, so I appreciate the response.

Did you run into any surprises? Was your ABS block in ok shape or did you replace that too?

Classic tube doesn't have anything on their site, I hope they still carry it if I call them.

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
G

geddy2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't replace the ABS module. I should have though because all the brake lines were disconnected from it. My ABS module was working fine prior to the brake line rupture. I did have an ABS dash light problem after i finished the replacement of the brake line. i ended up changing both front wheel speed sensor and that rid of the dash light.

One thing you need to make sure you do correctly is to bleed the crap out of the brakes after you finish the job. I have a power pressure bleeder that force the fluid into the brake fluid reservoir which made the bleeding process faster. Even with that tool, i had to bleed the brake again after driving it around the street.

I think the 1/2 ton truck brake lines are the same as the Yukons.

MikeRIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I ended up calling classic tube and they do still have kits for these trucks, so I went ahead and ordered it in order to cut down on time custom bending all the lines.

It is currently $300 + shipping for the all stainless steel kit. Kinda pricey, but I'm sure it will make it easier and the work go faster.

MDJR

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but this is something I have to do soon myself. Does anyone have any idea of what this might cost to have done? I'm not really up to doing it myself...

MikeRIC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably between 12-16 hours. Maybe they'd cut you a break since it's such a big job. Fuel lines are considerably less though!

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Mine have been replaced twice.first time it happened my records show was at 10,000 miles and second year on the road had to be towed in for complete brake line replacement,and then again at 50000 miles.

Last edited:

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this being a problem with some Tahoes, Yukons, Silverados etc which is shocking because my trucks aren't even hardly rusty. They all look like they're made of aluminum or something. My 06 Yukon's are clean, my 05 Express are pretty clean, as are my 97 and 02 HD. Dunno if there was a run of vehicles using ****** brake lines? Maybe trucks made in mexico or something, mine are all VIN number 1 trucks. I had to redo all the hard brake lines on my 1997 Jeep wrangler because they were all rusted away. Which I thought was garbage since all my other trucks, that I mentioned, were still in great shape even the 1997 Silverado. And I live in Chicagoland, where they dump salt so thick its like a gravel road in the winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz