Removing the transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kcbuckeye22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe and I'm just making sure that there isn't a easier way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366416730.325307.jpg

I'll have to remove the rear "body support?" To take it out right? The other support looks to be supporting the weight of the transmission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Transfer Case Assembly Replacement Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. Remove the transfer case shields.
  3. Remove the front propeller shaft.
  4. Remove the rear propeller shaft.
  5. Remove the vent hose from the transfer case.
  6. Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the electrical connectors from the transfer case motor/encoder.
  8. Remove any wiring harness from the transfer case.
  9. Support the transfer case with a transmission jack.

1. For vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, remove the six nuts securing the transfer case and bracket to the transmission.
  2. Remove the transfer case.

• Start by pulling the transfer case straight back from the transmission.
    • After the transfer case is pulled out from the transmission turn and lower the transfer case.

1. For vehicles equipped with a automatic transmission, remove the six nuts securing the transfer case and bracket to the transmission adapter.
  2. Remove the transfer case.

1. Start by pulling the transfer case straight back from the transmission.

• After the transfer case is pulled out from the transmission turn and lower the transfer case.

1. Remove and discard the gasket.
Installation Procedure

1. Install a new gasket to the transmission. Use sealer GM P/N 12346004 in order to hold the gasket in place.
  2. Raise and position the transfer case to the vehicle
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. For vehicles equipped with a automatic transmission, install the six nuts securing the transfer case and bracket to the transmission adapter.

• Tighten the nuts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .

1. For vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, install the six nuts securing the transfer case and bracket to the transmission.

• Tighten the nuts to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.) .

1. Install the vent hose to the transfer case.
  2. Check the transfer case oil level.
  3. Connect the speed sensor electrical connectors.
  4. Install the electrical connectors to the transfer case motor/encoder.
  5. Install any wiring harness to the transfer case.
  6. Install the rear propeller shaft.
  7. Install the front propeller shaft.
  8. Install the transfer case shields.
  9. Lower the vehicle.

OP
OP
K

Kcbuckeye22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen this posted already and find it impossible to believe that T-Case will fit. I wrestled with it for 30 minutes, she ain't coming unless the "cross member?" Comes out. Not saying it can't happen, because I may not have the correct tools.

OP
OP
K

Kcbuckeye22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update! The transmission support cross bar needs moved for the transfer case to come out. Unbolt the 4 support cross bar bolts and two from the support rest. Jack up the transmission just a 1/4 inch, slide the support cross bar, and remove the transfer case. This process was not as easy as my fathers T-case removal on his 2003 Yukon.

Now to find a replacement t-case.

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the cross member has to come out. I got my tcase from transfer case express. Includes aluminum back half upgrade as standard.

OP
OP
K

Kcbuckeye22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok this is kind of an update and a what's wrong now. I replaced my old transfer case with a used transfer case. I used my old TC motor on the used TC. Test drove it and the service 4x4 light is on and it's stuck in 4x4. I tried all the buttons and it stays in 4x4. The indicator light for 4hi, 4auto, 4lo, and 2wd isn't coming on as well. What do you thinks wrong with it?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the cross member has to come out. I got my tcase from transfer case express. Includes aluminum back half upgrade as standard.

X2 they are awesome

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murk3d