Removed Slave Cassette - No Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMcCoy33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished up a double din install in my 2002 - put in a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT.

The dash bezel modifications went a little better than expected and I got everything working just fine.

Today, I decided to remove the slave cassette and replace it with the console pocket. With the cassette unplugged, I don't have sound through any of the speakers so I currently have it plugged in and hidden in the console.

The original system was non-Bose with subwoofer and rear seat audio controls, but not sure if that matters. It seems as though the cassette deck is acting as some kind of audio pass-through. Anyone know of a solution where I can take the cassette deck out?

I did not test the factory radio with the cassette unplugged. My tests have only been with the aftermarket radio and cassette plugged/unplugged. There are two 9-pin plugs in the radio compartment. The one originally connected to the factory radio is unplugged and the other plugs in near the original radio wiring harness. I did swap those to see if it had an effect. Nothing worked when swapped.

Last edited:

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished up a double din install in my 2002 - put in a Pioneer AVIC-X930BT.

The dash bezel modifications went a little better than expected and I got everything working just fine.

Today, I decided to remove the slave cassette and replace it with the console pocket. With the cassette unplugged, I don't have sound through any of the speakers so I currently have it plugged in and hidden in the console.

The original system was non-Bose with subwoofer and rear seat audio controls, but not sure if that matters. It seems as though the cassette deck is acting as some kind of audio pass-through. Anyone know of a solution where I can take the cassette deck out?

I did not test the factory radio with the cassette unplugged. My tests have only been with the aftermarket radio and cassette plugged/unplugged. There are two 9-pin plugs in the radio compartment. The one originally connected to the factory radio is unplugged and the other plugs in near the original radio wiring harness. I did swap those to see if it had an effect. Nothing worked when swapped.

There is a pink or orange wire that runs down to the slave cassette, you have to cut that and run it into a power wire like acc or power antenna. Without it the power wont go from headunit to speakers.

Jatruh78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is also another harness back behind the plastic behind the radio, you can see a little plastic insert that holds the harness in place coming at you. it looks like plastick clip/tree if you push that in or cut/break it it will release the harness and you can unplug it and bypass the amp/cassette.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had/have the same problem. Installed my system way back when and went to take the cassette deck out and no sound. It has been tucked back there ever since.

drewxjn

Reaction score
There is a pink or orange wire that runs down to the slave cassette, you have to cut that and run it into a power wire like acc or power antenna. Without it the power wont go from headunit to speakers.

Can you confirm the color please? Did a headunit swap today and the speakers worked for a second then no sound. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
K

KMcCoy33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I guess I could just grab that from the harness that plugs into the slave cassette?

Overall, I'm confused because I don't know what wires are running into the cassette that are plugged in elsewhere. I had just figured it was one set of wires running from the old factory unit to the cassette and with both ends unplugged, didn't think something would be looping anywhere. Also, when I tested the wires with a 12v tester at the cassette, nothing showed power.

OP
OP
K

KMcCoy33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reading some of the replies, maybe my original post was confusing.

I replaced the deck and everything works fine. I did grab the wire I needed (at least according to the wire diagrams and a call to Crutchfield) behind the stereo in order to power the amp.

If I unplug the harness from the back of the cassette, then the speakers go dead. Plug the cassette back in and sound is back.

If there is something going to or coming from the cassette deck that is needed, that would make sense. I just couldn't figure out what it was. Since I didn't get a 12v reading on any of them, thought maybe speaker leads passed through somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59