Remote start wont work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened to my '07 and the dealer had to replace the remote. Check to see if it's both remotes not working.

OP
OP
U

uncle_tbone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK GMC says its the SDM sensing Diagonostic module. Both remotes do the same thing goes thorugh the sequece lights flash fuel prime and then nothing. They are supposed to have it ready today (been a week) ill update if it fixes the problem. Whats funny is they have us an 09 HHR as a rental and its broke too! Door locks you inside and the heater wont blow to the feet. I hate to say this on here but maybe I should have stuck with Dodge!

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Yea so the dealer calls me today and the part is back ordered all of a sudden after they told me it would be here 2 days ago. I know that it would have said back ordered when they ordered the part I really dont like dealers getting very aggrivated!

Mighty Hd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update to this old thread? I'm having the same problems....

Vehicle: 08 Tahoe Z71 3LT with 23k. Factory equipped remote start.

I'll start off by saying that at first the problem was intermittent and will admit that diagnosis would be next to impossible.

When remote starting the vehicle it will do one of the following:
1. Start up and immediately shut off.
2. Starter will click/grind and then disengauge, try again and will start the vehicle.
3. Will start up and reset everything –– radio, HVAC gets stuck on heat and the rear HVAC will get stuck on the floor/heat setting. You have to insert the key, turn to "on" and shut the vehicle off. Then restart to get everything functional again.
4. The hazard lights will flash like they normally do before it starts, then nothign will happen. Security light on the dashboard flashes quickly. You have to start it with the key before it will remote start again.

The problems were once in a while and the dealer basically told us to live with it; it's been going on since 2008. Three weeks ago I noticed the rear main seal was leaking when I did an oil change; they pulled the transmission and replaced the seal. Since then all hell has broken loose with the remote start ********. Ninety percent of the time it will do 1-4 of the above situations.

Deparm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had this problem recently as well. The remote start has been working fine up till about 3 weeks ago. You can hit the button and it goes through the start sequence just like OP says (lights flash, hear the fuel pump cycle) but nothing happens.

I have a few other issues that I was going to take it to the service dept for, but if this is one that I can fix myself that would be great.

Has anybody else had electrical problems? I have a few things that dont work, and the list keeps growing:

cigarette lighter plugs (2 out of 3 dont work) - since day 1
humming noise through speakers - since day 1
lumbar support on seats - since day 1
remote start - quit about 3 weeks ago
heater wont blow on the floor position (havent proved this yet, wifey claims thats the case though)

I have a plug in problem with my device. So I need to fix it which is really a tough things for me. I don't know about any source where i can fix this. Hope you can help me. I am waiting for your response.

Mighty Hd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a plug in problem with my device. So I need to fix it which is really a tough things for me. I don't know about any source where i can fix this. Hope you can help me. I am waiting for your response.

Good luck getting it fixed. GM eventually bought back my 08 and 11.

For the remote start they ended up replacing the hood latch, all the modules in the drivers door, BCM and several other things. It had a total down time of nearly two months.

Then the oil leaks....and more electrical problems. It all started with humming/electrical noises in the radio and it went to hell from there.

eeehabt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure about the OP but the CEL is the source of your problem - no remote start if CEL present - it's in the manual.

I totally agree with you on that. I noticed my Yukon starts when I erase the code, but it will stop responding when it comes back. Behavior? the same as described up. flashes and fuels but no action.

Reaction score
My 07 starting doing the same when I started to throw the gas filler code, I can disconnect the battery and it will crank but it shuts off....

eeehabt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any update to this old thread? I'm having the same problems....

Vehicle: 08 Tahoe Z71 3LT with 23k. Factory equipped remote start.

I'll start off by saying that at first the problem was intermittent and will admit that diagnosis would be next to impossible.

When remote starting the vehicle it will do one of the following:
1. Start up and immediately shut off.
2. Starter will click/grind and then disengauge, try again and will start the vehicle.
3. Will start up and reset everything –– radio, HVAC gets stuck on heat and the rear HVAC will get stuck on the floor/heat setting. You have to insert the key, turn to "on" and shut the vehicle off. Then restart to get everything functional again.
4. The hazard lights will flash like they normally do before it starts, then nothign will happen. Security light on the dashboard flashes quickly. You have to start it with the key before it will remote start again.

The problems were once in a while and the dealer basically told us to live with it; it's been going on since 2008. Three weeks ago I noticed the rear main seal was leaking when I did an oil change; they pulled the transmission and replaced the seal. Since then all hell has broken loose with the remote start ********. Ninety percent of the time it will do 1-4 of the above situations.

Hi,
My 90% guess your problem is loose battery cables. Make sure they are tight. You mentioned that these problems appeared after pulling down the transmission assy. Exactly like mine. Though, keep this in mind: whenever you switch on the vehicle and lights come on, and you turn the key further to crank it and it shuts down like a dead rock, it means the positive battery cable is loose and disconnects when there's a load like the crancking one.
check and give us the news.

Vigh_J

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing this now.. goes through the cycle but nothing happens.. No CEL either.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Hi,
My 90% guess your problem is loose battery cables. Make sure they are tight. You mentioned that these problems appeared after pulling down the transmission assy. Exactly like mine. Though, keep this in mind: whenever you switch on the vehicle and lights come on, and you turn the key further to crank it and it shuts down like a dead rock, it means the positive battery cable is loose and disconnects when there's a load like the crancking one.
check and give us the news.

Absolutely right, I tightened the nut from the positive cable connecting to the fuse box on the firewall and walla. No more intermittent remote start issues, or radio disconnecting. So for those having problems just tighten the nut on the fused box. I also upgraded my negative cable to 1/0 gauge. This is on my 08 escalade. This is a known problem for our vehicles just google your issues as i always do b4 hitting the stealership.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667