Recurring bank 1 O2 sensor code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go backward.
Yes, O2 sensor moves up and down when I ran live graph.
Yes, all sensors pass test on both Torque and smarter scanner
I am referring to the 3rd bolt on the manifold flange, next to cat, as it is crammed between the flange and the engine block, with very little room to get to it.
Exhaust leak is on the engine head side of the manifold. Apparently, leaking gasket. Now, this motor was out 2 yrs ago, as it was in shop, to have lifters replaced, and they broke head bolt and had to pull engine out to have it replaced. So I am safely presuming, they had exhaust manifolds removed for that? What I found later down the road, around spring last year, that those flange bolts were missing on both manifolds, so I fixed that. Engine was reeking of exhaust, standing next to it. That tripped me to scope exhaust and I found those missing bolts, well, holes for them.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say you fix all exhaust leaks first.

I don't know what kinda gaskets they used, but the oem are 3 layer steel and they can normally be tightened up without replacing.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know. Just dread the job.
Nuts are tight, I tried.
Really, don't want to snap a stud

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are any broken off? if it's leaking at broken bolts they have those clamps.

if all the bolts are good and it's leaking, yeah I'm guessing that shop used junk gaskets and you need new ones. but you might get lucky since it's been apart a few years ago, the bolts might come out without breaking

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll just do it next weekend. Got lots of Liquid Wrench. Shouldn't be that hard.....

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question then.
If manifold is held in place by simple bolts, do I really need to disconnect it from the exhaust pipe to replace only gasket? Won't it move away from the block enough to simply remove the old gasket and slide the new one in?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:waytogo:go far it, but it may fight you getting it to line back up? Let us know please.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question then.
If manifold is held in place by simple bolts, do I really need to disconnect it from the exhaust pipe to replace only gasket? Won't it move away from the block enough to simply remove the old gasket and slide the new one in?

these are copper and I'd use oem 3 layer but notice the end bolt holes are slotted. if you can do that to the gaskets you have, you should be able to pry the manifold out a bit slip them down in.

as for getting the old ones out, leave one of the front or rear in, should be able to pull up the gasket, and then put say the front in, remove the back and pull it the rest of the way out.

I've not done this on one of these trucks, only an older small block chevy motor with more flexible headers. but might be worth a try.

514gQo49AIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I ran live scan on O2 sensor. It's reading just fine

Attachments

• 20230709_182123.jpg
    20230709_182123.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 3