Rear Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TogaPC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my Tahoe a few months ago, the rear windows would not roll down. I figured it was just a fuse but I can not figure it out. The window lock out is not on and the two front windows roll up and down. I can hear a click in the doors when I push the button but the windows don't budge at all.

Any ideas?

NovaRacer

Reaction score
When I got my Tahoe a few months ago, the rear windows would not roll down. I figured it was just a fuse but I can not figure it out. The window lock out is not on and the two front windows roll up and down. I can hear a click in the doors when I push the button but the windows don't budge at all.

Any ideas?

When you say window lock is not on, you mean the window lock on the drivers' window switch, or the child-lock on the side of each rear door?

Did you check the fuses in the panel on the side of the dash @ the drivers door?

WB

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Perhaps the lockout switch is faulty and is stuck in the locked position? Or maybe you have faulty motors/regulators (or issue with wiring between the switch)? Strange that both have failed though... that's what leads me to believe it is the lock out switch. :shrug:

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Perhaps the lockout switch is faulty and is stuck in the locked position? Or maybe you have faulty motors/regulators (or issue with wiring between the switch)? Strange that both have failed though... that's what leads me to believe it is the lock out switch. :shrug:

I agree completely with that. I'd check the switch first, and then the regulators. A multimeter is your friend.

OP
OP
TogaPC

TogaPC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I didn't mean the child safety locks. They are off. Doesn't the lockout switch also lock out the front passenger side window? If so then it's not the switch but I'll verify that in later today. I don't know anything about power windows but I have heard that the regulators are a fairly common failure point on them. The hoe has over 200,000 miles on it and is 10 years old so I expect some parts to fail. I just need to know what parts to replace and I don't have the money to take it to a shop...at least not for something as trivial as this.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is another thread at the Tahoe Forum about this. Did both rear windows stop working at the same time? If neither will go up or down and if neither will work from the master switch at the driver's door then suspect the master switch because both rear switches work thru the master switch. OR both rear regulators-(most likely)-are bad and went bad at different times and were not replaced as they went bad. OR check the wiring harness in the door jam for broken wires.

notinparadise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is another thread at the Tahoe Forum about this. Did both rear windows stop working at the same time? If neither will go up or down and if neither will work from the master switch at the driver's door then suspect the master switch because both rear switches work thru the master switch. OR both rear regulators-(most likely)-are bad and went bad at different times and were not replaced as they went bad. OR check the wiring harness in the door jam for broken wires.

I just think both rear windows going out at the exact time is impossible. I am going to check my wiring I installed a overhead DVD player and tapped into the power window 12V feed in the pillar. I am think that is my issue. I will investigate this weekend and post an update.

notinparadise

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just pulled the pillar panel and checked for power the 12v feed to both rear windows have power (my wiring is good). Nothing from the switch. I am leaning towards the master switch on the drivers door, But why would it prevent only the the two rears windows from working?! The two front windows work perfectly? Any suggestions would be great.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Master switch has failed most likely. The lockout switch would disable all 3 other windows. The fact that the front passenger window still works and both rears quit working at the same time points me at the master switch. There are tests you can do with jumper wires/power probe but that's up to you. The switches fail often due to the driver being a smoker and on rainy days leaving his window down to smoke. The rain gets in the master switch and slowly corrodes the internal contacts.