Rear Lift gate, glass won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the rear liftgate and the rear glass on my 2001 GMC Yukon SLT will not open. I've managed to get my fingers into the trim and pop the glass open from inside but can't find the release for the gate. the gate handle feels like nothing is attached at the outside and the glass button doesn't push in. Tried the key, no joy.

I'd kinda like to use this. Anyone have this issue? If so what kind of torture is it to do this yourself or should I just take the ol girl to a competent mechanic?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need to remove the rear hatch cover panel and take a look inside, sometimes the mechanism just comes loose inside, sometimes a plastic part will break, sometimes there jammed. only way to determine what is the case is to take a look inside behind the panel, the pull handle will need to come off to get the panel off not sure what else it has been a while, just have patience and use a panel tool if you get to aggressive with it the clips can break

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need to remove the rear hatch cover panel and take a look inside, sometimes the mechanism just comes loose inside, sometimes a plastic part will break, sometimes there jammed. only way to determine what is the case is to take a look inside behind the panel, the pull handle will need to come off to get the panel off not sure what else it has been a while, just have patience and use a panel tool if you get to aggressive with it the clips can break
Is it possible to remove the trim pieces from inside the vehicle, since I can't get the gate open? I'm sure that will make it much less convenient [emoji6] but I can't see enough to know if I'm wasting my time and it won't come off anyway

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the trim pieces from inside the vehicle, since I can't get the gate open? I'm sure that will make it much less convenient [emoji6] but I can't see enough to know if I'm wasting my time and it won't come off anyway

you may be able to pull the panel back enough to release the mechanism with a long screwdriver and a flashlight so you can see down inside.
here is a youtube video for how you could do it with a 06 but I don't think the 01 is a 2 piece panel

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may be able to pull the panel back enough to release the mechanism with a long screwdriver and a flashlight so you can see down inside.
here is a youtube video for how you could do it with a 06 but I don't think the 01 is a 2 piece panel
As a matter of fact, mine is, and I used this video earlier to pop the rear glass to clean it. I'll crawl in there and take a crack at removing the panel in the morning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Splorg

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get back to Aretha until today.

Gate and glass both open now - total cost: 15 minutes of disassembly and reassembly and about nickels worth of penetrating oil to free up the mechanism and another nickels worth of lithium grease to keep it that way.

Looks like the return spring on the handle and the cable that pulls the reel mechanism are separate - the cable was bound up. Slides like buttah now. Looks to me like it was just some corrosion on the exposed cable, but I'll likely replace all the puller cables just in case when I get the time.

Every repair should be so d**n easy. :)

Thanks for the help guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed

Latest posts