Rear hatch glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched, maybe I've searched the wrong way but never found the answer I was looking for.

Anyway. On my 2004 Tahoe I need a new hatch glass since the rear defrost tab has broken off. I don't really like the rubber moulding around the glass and like the look on the 2005-2006 rear glass. I know I've seen it on a Yukon for sure. Has the plastic trim on the top of the glass and no rubber moulding around the glass. Question is will this fit on mine without swapping the whole gate for the newer style?

The one that looks like this one..
54fd983acb826f1cfc2ddc95a4ad01d1.jpg

What I have..

740ab0e6b1c79785029f9a1f28e13b84.jpg

3160f08c607eec6aefc22140ca891136.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
osiris94ej

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my thought since it almost looks the same anyway. But didn't want to order the glass and be stuck since it won't fit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can repair the tab. There are a few options as far as the product to use. Locite makes one but I wasn't impressed and ended up using one from www.frostfighter.com and was very happy. They sell everything you need to repair the tabs or the grid for around $35.

OP
OP
osiris94ej

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can repair the tab. There are a few options as far as the product to use. Locite makes one but I wasn't impressed and ended up using one from www.frostfighter.com and was very happy. They sell everything you need to repair the tabs or the grid for around $35.
Yeah, I've seen them but haven't tried it. I mostly just want the newer glass.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen them but haven't tried it. I mostly just want the newer glass.

Ooohhhh...so that's what you told the wife, the tab's broken, need new glass! LOL. I personally don't care for the huge rubber piece at the top of the one you're looking at. I also believe you need the third brake light that goes with it. And it has a bigger handle that bolts through the glass as opposed to the molded-in one on yours. You'll need that hardware too if you're buying new. It's not necessarily a newer/older thing either- it was installed on random 00-06 models but seems to be just a hit-or-miss thing. There wasn't an option for it as far as I could find out. I almost bought one from a forum member by mistake, then decided to just fix my tabs.

OP
OP
osiris94ej

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooohhhh...so that's what you told the wife, the tab's broken, need new glass! LOL. I personally don't care for the huge rubber piece at the top of the one you're looking at. I also believe you need the third brake light that goes with it. And it has a bigger handle that bolts through the glass as opposed to the molded-in one on yours. You'll need that hardware too if you're buying new. It's not necessarily a newer/older thing either- it was installed on random 00-06 models but seems to be just a hit-or-miss thing. There wasn't an option for it as far as I could find out. I almost bought one from a forum member by mistake, then decided to just fix my tabs.
Haha, not what I told her. That's actually what a glass store told her. I never thought that stuff would hold.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, not what I told her. That's actually what a glass store told her. I never thought that stuff would hold.

What a surprise- a place that sells glass says you need new glass! The frostfighter stuff definitely holds, looks way stronger than the original. I have no doubt mine will last forever. But yeah, if you're going the new glass route just make sure you get the other hardware that needs to be changed.

OP
OP
osiris94ej

osiris94ej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a surprise- a place that sells glass says you need new glass! The frostfighter stuff definitely holds, looks way stronger than the original. I have no doubt mine will last forever. But yeah, if you're going the new glass route just make sure you get the other hardware that needs to be changed.
I plan to buy a used one from a junkyard or one of the few I've found on eBay. Comes as whole peice. The third brake light is same p/n as far as I've seen. I've tried to solder these back on once and failed so never tried anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz