Rear/Front end Rebuild...With Write-up and Pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
:drunk: Now then... After you crack a few back and get a good buzz rollin...Grab a can or 2 of brake cleaner, some shop towels and have at the inside of the housing. Get all the spots including where the fluid retracts back into the housing. Go ahead and scrape and sand the old gasket area to so its prepped for reinstallation. :grd: Make sure to get the areas where the new racers are gonna get pushed in real well. Dont want ANYTHING IN THE WAY OF THE NEW RACERS!!:Nonono:

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

More pics and write up in about 2 hours

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

heres it all cleaned up and shiny. Plus a look at the old BS locker and my new TruTrac

jcooklock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question. how much play, if any, should there be where the drive shaft enters the axle? bc I have a good 3 to 4 milimeters of play (truck rocking back and forth) I assume this isnt right. what would be the problem, and best coarse of action to fix it?

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
there should be VERY LITTLE PLAY. if you got to much then 2 things are gonna happen. A. Your bearings are going bad and will need to be replaced...and B. Your rear end is gonna need new gears real soon.:imo:

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Nice thread. I appreciate it. Move it to technical write ups though so I won't have to sort through General Discussion later on.

jcooklock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there should be VERY LITTLE PLAY. if you got to much then 2 things are gonna happen. A. Your bearings are going bad and will need to be replaced...and B. Your rear end is gonna need new gears real soon.:imo:

When I looked in the pumpkin the gears looked good with no wear and tear, but I guess it could be something I can see.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
what it could be is your bearings going bad...which will eventually lead to a full blown rear end problem when sht hits the fan.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
:Wedgie: Sorry about the delay guys...Been busy with work, holidays and getting a dam dial indicator ordered. Anyways Im gonna finish up tonight or tomorrow with the rear rebuild. got the dam thing together just have to check the lash with a dial indicator. Ill post all the write up and pics. Then we will move on to the mysterious front end IFS. Seems I cant find shit about it in my book or online:shrug::flipthebird:. Weird. so Ill make sure I do a proper write up and pics on that too. Seems like all this info should help the next in line. Honestly Ive taken my sweet ass time but who cares.

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

OK...back on track..Take the piston and new TruTrac (carrier) and to the machine shop and have em press on the bearings. They will clean all machining grease off the parts when you drop em off.

OP
OP
Biggwaukegan

Biggwaukegan

Banned
Reaction score
take one more look at the old and the new. UNREAL>VS.jpg

Now then. You went and had your bearings pressed. Got your shit back. Now throw the crush sleeve on the pinion. Grease the bearings (makes a HUGE difference) and put your new racer in if you havent already.

Put on crush sleeve and grease bearings.jpg
Heres our crush sleeve tool. and a BIG MF Hammer:)
crush sleeve tool.jpg

Heres the new pinion sitting in flush with the new seal and crush sleeve crushed!

Attachments

• new one in. Crush that sleeve.jpg
    new one in. Crush that sleeve.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 99
  • new racer.jpg
    new racer.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 92

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy