Rear End Clunk Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a similar problem now except it feels like a hard transmission shift. It mostly happens when cold and rolling down the street out of my driveway. As I make a slight right turn and am about to give it some gas it hard clucks into another gear.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, You need to look at the drive line and u-joints but also the trans mount and the motor mounts.

63Blackseries

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this problem for a while now on my 2013 Avalanche, changing diff fluid does help but it comes back after a while i can replicate the sounds by just realeasing the gas pedal then quickly accelerate again.

When off roading and on 4LO and crawling down a rocky hill thers times it will jerk me forward which is pretty scary.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re hearing before giving gas check what PNW suggested. If it’s after giving gas and comes from out back check shaft and u joints but that clunk is common. The fluid change with conditioner helps for a while as 63 stated.

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its common. I have it on my 160k mile 08 Denali.

That said if you do grease up the splines don't use too much grease. Some say you might introduce grease into the xfer case. I have doubts on how much an issue it would present though.

I just bought a xfer case rebuild kit with new chain. Chains stretch over time and might cause some clunk too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn