Rear blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LI BeachHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Didn't mean to start a war here, and I am not saying that rear block should never be used, but there is a reason that any reliable truck publication or 4x4 shop will tell you that a spring lift or shackle flip is better than blocks any day. It is simple physics, as with blocks you are increasing the amount of leverage by moving the wheels farther away from the springs, creating the increased risk of spring/axle wrap and damage. I have used blocks in the past also, and may again in the future, but personally would never go with more than 2" blocks do to the type of things I do with my truck.

To address one of Purples points, Jeeps don't use blocks because they are typically a spring under axle setup, therefore any block added between the spring and axle would actually lower the Jeep.

All in all, if blocks work for you then by all means go for it. I was simply offering an alternative to the OP to help correct his bigger issue, his sagging springs. Because of the way I use my trucks (running soft sand beaches all summer, regular towing & plowing snow in the winter) I like to keep axle wrap issues to a minimum.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to start a war here, and I am not saying that rear block should never be used, but there is a reason that any reliable truck publication or 4x4 shop will tell you that a spring lift or shackle flip is better than blocks any day. It is simple physics, as with blocks you are increasing the amount of leverage by moving the wheels farther away from the springs, creating the increased risk of spring/axle wrap and damage. I have used blocks in the past also, and may again in the future, but personally would never go with more than 2" blocks do to the type of things I do with my truck.

To address one of Purples points, Jeeps don't use blocks because they are typically a spring under axle setup, therefore any block added between the spring and axle would actually lower the Jeep.

All in all, if blocks work for you then by all means go for it. I was simply offering an alternative to the OP to help correct his bigger issue, his sagging springs. Because of the way I use my trucks (running soft sand beaches all summer, regular towing & plowing snow in the winter) I like to keep axle wrap issues to a minimum.

Yup. Can't beat new springs. An AAL is a good choice to "refresh" the old spring pack also. BUT, blocks are here to stay.

theoutlaw

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is a little late but i have some info to add on the block debate.

1. First and foremost never install lift blocks up front. They can slip out because of the flexing of parts while turning. Not really a problem on ours because we don't have front leaf springs but figured I mention it anyways.

2. 99+ Z71 pickups come from the factory with a 2" block. Its listed in the LMC catalog as a spacer. The GM part number is 15712451. Now if blocks are really that unsafe then why did GM use them? The answer is that blocks are safe on the rear of the vehicle when designed, installed, and torqued properly as long as they are not to tall. So I'd say 2" blocks are short enough to becompletly safe.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2. 99+ Z71 pickups come from the factory with a 2" block. Its listed in the LMC catalog as a spacer. The GM part number is 15712451. Now if blocks are really that unsafe then why did GM use them? The answer is that blocks are safe on the rear of the vehicle when designed, installed, and torqued properly as long as they are not to tall. So I'd say 2" blocks are short enough to becompletly safe.

You missed almost everything I said. A 2inch block is fine I guess. Not gonna say I'd run it, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Just because GM does something, does not make it right all the time. I know GM has 2inch factory blocks. That's fine. But we are talking about people wanting to run huge lift blocks for some reason and they don't fully understand what the issues with that are. We just had a thread last week where some billygoat was wanting to make his own blocks. I get sick of reading threads about blocks. It's lift blocks, they are simple enough.

But we have had WAY to many threads come up as of late about lift blocks. And too many people saying to just run some huge 4inch blocks or even bigger. The fact of the matter is, lift blocks are not better than a shackle flip. In fact, I think shackle flips and rear block kits are almost the same price. So my question is, why run blocks when you could upgrade to a shackle flip and have better results?

And I'd take a set of lift springs over a shackle flip I think. But of course, I don't know anything. Carry on now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigStick