Rear A/C failure. Sounds coming from engine compartment.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sefiro

Reaction score
Junking in late. Coming out of the compressor, pipe (y pipe) should be warm. Upper will turn cold after the orifice located in the first coupling. The rear lower pipe will remain warm (with fluid) to the back where it will pass through the expansion valve. It should be cold at that point. The return pipe should be cooler than the liquid pipe (like the the front where the return pipe temp is midway between the liquid side of the orifice and the vapor side). If the temp is the same, then expansion valve is stuck open. If the return is the same temp as surrounding metal - then the valve could stuck close (and creating too high pressure at the compressor).

If pipe temps are as expected, then investigate air flow and mode/blend.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Greg408

Greg408

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I know what you're talking about regarding the y-pipe in engine compartment. So the orifice is in the first coupling (going to the rear of the truck) after the y-pipe? So the expansion valve is somewhere at the rear of the truck. Is it inside or outside the rear cargo area? I'll look up some youtube info on that...

I led to believe there's a clog in the lines going to the rear, because the front A/C is blowing cold, both a/c lines to the rear feel luke-warm and the rear blower is blowing warm air constantly. I'm thinking if I must vacate the system from Freon, then I might as well change the clutch, expansion valve and the 'orifice'.

I also drove the truck for a while trying to get cold air out of the overhead and lower rear ducts, but the rear system wasn't cooling at all.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe clogged expansion valve? Orifice tube is in the metal line coming out of the drier. You'll see a nut on the line where you can unscrew them. Shouldn't need to mess with that, it only controls the front and won't affect the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack

Latest posts