Rear A/C blowing hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, glad you got it working, how did you know it was the valve and orifice? I'm hoping to look at mine after work, the actuator doesn't change the blend door so I'm hoping that's all it is and I'll just manually move it for now till winter

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
A

anguyen325

Reaction score
Well the front was blowing cold and the rear wasn't so I figured it had to be something in the rear. Seeing how I changed the rear Evap core, I highly doubt it was that. I knew the actuator was working bc I would test it in the morning before it got too hot outside. Since my AC compressor blew before, I thought a piece of metal may have gotten lodged in the expansion valve so I figured I would just change it to see bc I've changed pretty much everything except that. Since I was changing the expansion valve, I figured I would changed the orifice tube since the system was already empty and I guess the system wasn't flushed enough to get all the metal out bc the orifice tube was all clogged up! Good luck with figuring it out.

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well so much for that, hand changing the hot cold blend door I discovered it was already on cold just not getting cold, and now the floor to ceiling actuator quit, that's what I get for looking, hire hard was it really to change the tube and orifice? Did you have to take out the blower motor assembly? Probably won't be fixing it this summer as I have a clogged converter and gauge issues to deal with already but knowing before hand can make things easier

OP
OP
A

anguyen325

Reaction score
Dang that sucks. The orifice tube is in the front lines under the hood. And yes, u have to remove the entire blower motor assembly to remove the expansion valve which is in the rear passenger panel

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you give more detail? That way I won't be rehashing this thread a year from now or something, I haven't done a/c work except for changing the compressor let year and now that is squealing again too, which line is the tube in and such, what was involved in the removal of the blower assembly? Thanks for the help and quick responses

OP
OP
A

anguyen325

Reaction score
The orifice tube is located on the tube that runs from the firewall to the compressor. It's the line with the high and low caps to recharge the system. U use 2 wretches to remove the line and remove the bolt that holds it to the firewall. After removing the line, u take a pair of needle nose and pull the tube out from the line.

Here's a link to a thread about removing the rear blower motor assembly.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53204

Yukon Lover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can you diagnose the problem so I'm not changing parts for nothing? The orifice tube can affect the rear a/c?

OP
OP
A

anguyen325

Reaction score
I just changed it in case there was extra metal in the system that wasn't flushed out the first time which is probably what caused the expansion valve to clog up. Plus there was reduced pressure in the system and I had to drive 10-15 mom before it would get cold so I figured something might be clogged in te front too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia